Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-12-2002, 07:45 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

OK, here is a pic of my tank with 2 Vion 175w with spectral aluminum reflectors. Also 2 NO 48" 40w Coralife true actinics. Keep in mind my tank is only 45 days old.

Old 12-12-2002, 09:09 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist

Here are some pics with actinc only and then Vion only. The first thing that jumps out at me is the difference between our actinics. Mine seem more blue and yours look violet to me.

Old 12-12-2002, 11:27 PM   #13
AA Team Emeritus

Well, your using NO coralife bulbs, while I'm using brand new PC "True Actinics", they are more purple than any other true actinic I've seen, but they are a far cry better than the other "blue" choice in PC. The pic shown of my pc's was shortly after they were turned on, they do tone down a bit after they have warmed up a bit.

I am going to link your pic of the vion only and the vion + actinic, into my post with the pics, this will let me compare them a little better. I will delete the link back tomorrow. The comparison, probably won't be as true as I'd like, cause you appear to have used the flash on at least one of your pics, whick may have washed out some of the color.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2002, 10:48 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist

AAHHH I loaded the wrong picture. You are right that one had a flash and it took me a little bit to figure that camera out and get it turned off. I have some without flash and will up-load one tonight.
Old 12-13-2002, 09:11 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist

Ok, here is a pic without the flash.
Old 12-19-2002, 05:25 PM   #16
AA Team Emeritus

Update

OK, it has been a week, not quite 100 hours, but as I look at the pics I posted, the tank actually looks more green to me. I called Hellolights and they are going to send me a Ushio 10K, and just charge me the difference. They are going to pay the shipping (UPS Ground) for the Ushio and the return shipping for the vion. They did not require me to pay for the Ushio before sending it out, just the difference, this was not what I expected. I expected to have to pay for the Ushio, then get a credit once the vion was recieved. The Ushio costs an additional $19.00, I found it cheaper elsewhere, but after shipping chages were figured into the other bulb, it would have been $1.00 more

So although I was unhappy with the vion bulb, I am pleased with the customer service and willingness to make me happy shown by hellolights.com and would recommend them to anyone.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2002, 05:42 PM   #17
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Anemoneman Send a message via Yahoo to Anemoneman
Thanks for the follow up on this thread, Kevin. Obvoiusly there some quality control issues for Vion to work out but it is encouraging to hear of excellent customer service in this day and age.

Mark
Old 12-20-2002, 08:11 PM   #18
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to michealprater
I appreciate the trouble you went through reefrunner. Its nice to have a group of people that can tell you mistakes before you make them. I was going to buy vions from hellolights when I need to make the replacement. Now I will just go for the Ushios.

Tags
bulb, bulbs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com