Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-11-2002, 06:33 PM   #1
AA Team Emeritus

Vion bulbs

OK, some of you know I am replacing my bulbs in my pendant and was looking to upgrade my bulb from 6500K to 10000K. After speaking with several people and looking at pics on the hellolights.com website, I decided to try the Vion 175W 10K MH bulb. Well, I will reserve judgement for now, I have a few pics I'll post and let you see. I am hoping someone will tell me that a new MH bulb needs to break in and will become more white. Here are the pics...

Vion 175W 10K with 2 X 28W PC True actinics

Venture 175W 6500K with 2 X 28W PC 7100K blue

I really don't like the color. Yellow + Blue makes green, is what keeps going through my head...LOL But, within 10min of turning on the new lights (yes, I'm acclimating them to the new light) my blue tipped acro, is showing greater polyp extension than ever.

So give me some opinions people.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2002, 07:04 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to michealprater
It does seem kinda dim.

Old 12-11-2002, 07:30 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

It doesn't really seem dim to me, just green

Old 12-11-2002, 07:49 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Anemoneman Send a message via Yahoo to Anemoneman
The way I understand spectrum is the lower kelvin bulbs peak closer to red than higher kelvin bulbs. You are missing some of the blue spectrum. The light is not yellow, it appears that way because it is missing some blue. Actually anything over 5000K is considered "cool white" or largely blue in spectrum. With actinic supplementation you are replacing some blue spectrum. Perhaps the Vions are quite a bit lower color temp than they advertise. I have to admit I have not seen them. I was relating anecdotal information about their appearance until maiceman showed up. My suggestion would be to add more actinic wither in pc or NO. Not sure how long your tank is but I really like my 5500K with 2 NO (4') actinic but maybe I don't know what I am missing. It sounds encouraging that your acro likes it.

Mark
Old 12-11-2002, 07:55 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to targaboy78
Hi reefrunner69,

May I start by saying WOW ! That is one gorgeous tank.

I understand what you mean, with the 10000K bulb it does have a slight greenish tinge to it. Personally, I love the colors you get with the 6500K bulb but that being said... IMHO, I think you should do whatever makes your tank inhabitants the happiest.

Just a thought.
Old 12-11-2002, 08:07 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

OK here are the bulbs individually...

Vion 10K MH only.

PC tue actinics...I've been using the 7100Ks and these seem a little more purple than I remember.

Does anyone think the bulbs will shift in spectrum over the course of a few weeks?

Maiceman, how do these compare to yours?

Old 12-11-2002, 08:40 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Kevin,

This is just what I have seen on my actinics. My PC actinics will come on very purple in color. But after say an hour of being on they are a much lighter blue color.

Does your actinics shift color after being on for a few hours?

That MH only pic sure does seem YELLOW to me.

BTW I think that is the first FULL tank shot I have seen in quite a while. I WANT your tank!!!!

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2002, 09:42 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to michealprater
I think the venture 6500k is much better looking. Im not sure what my MH bulbs are. I forgot to ask the guy when I bought the 100 gallon reef setup. From what I'm hearing though, when I get new bulbs I guess I'll get 6500k. I thought 6500 was suppose to be more yellow than 10000 k. From your pics it dont appear that way. I wonder if they accidentally sent you the wrong bulbs.

BTW, what fish do you have in that reef tank?
Old 12-12-2002, 10:58 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

This can be so difficult at times due to the fact that everyones eye see's color slightly differently. I will post some pics tonight of mine and maybe we can let the digital computer age help with the comparison. My initial opinion is that mine are not as yellow as yours but again, I think that has allot to do with how our minds process the info our eyes are sending it. Another contributing factor would be what is the light reflecting off of. Initially my lights were so bright white I needed sun glasses to look at the tank. Once I developed a green algae layer on the sand the light seemed much more yellow. I should also mention that I painted the inside of my hood with a high gloss bright white paint. With this and the 12" X 36" spectral aluminum reflectors I have very little light being absorbed in other directions.
Old 12-12-2002, 05:25 PM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

I spoke to Brian at hellolights.com, he told me that the bulbs color may be effected by something I might be able to change, as well as needing to "burn in". He told me after 100 hours the bulb should go more white. If after a week, I'm still not happy, he'll send me a returnshipping label and I'll send it back and get the Ushio.

Tags
bulb, bulbs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com