Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-15-2004, 05:50 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

visi therm heater blew up....twice in 3 days.

i have (well, had) 2 visi therm deluxe glass heaters for 3 months now, without a problem. this past saturday, one of them blew up in my sump. smoke was coming out of the water, and the glass cracked. luckily, nothing burned or died and nobody got hurt. my water had a burning smell that was pretty nasty. just as the smell was going away, my backup heater (same brand) blew again today.... i dont know what the problem is. i sent the first one back to marineland today for a replacement, and now i have no heater for my tank. i dont think i did anything wrong. the heater has always been fully submerged. the only thing i can think of is if my heater got some kind of electrical spike. any thoughts? this is frustrating.....i think its time for a titanium heater.

Old 11-15-2004, 06:01 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Or an Ebo-Jager

But I would think you'd notice an electric surge. A heater is a very simple electronic device, I would think you would have noticed other failures if somewhat was wrong supply side. I assume you have a GFCI circuit and maybe a surge protector on your aquarium?

No heater lasts forever...

xenia, mushrooms, wels. open brain, fungia radiata (orange), green eyed zoos

flame angel, mated pair of false perc, 6-line, firefish

20gH electric yellow cichlid
theatrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 06:03 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well, typically heaters do not "blow up" and VisiTherms are pretty durable overall. Any chance the heater came out of the water? Anything may hay hit the heater? Anything else in the house blow up? Did you have any brown outs?

*15H marine*
-30# Live Rock
-Mixed Snails (Nassarius // Cerith // Astrea // Black Turbo // Mexican Turbo)
-8x Blue Leg Hermit Crabs // 1x Banded Serpent Star // 1x Cleaner Shrimp
-1x Royal Gramma // 1x Percula Clownfish
-2x Mushroom Leather // Metallic Green Star Polyps // Pulsing Xenia // Striped Xenia // Blue Mushroom
-Remora + Maxi-Jet 1200 // 2x Maxi-Jet 600 // Maxi-Jet 400 // Visi-Therm Deluxe 50 // Current USA Orbit 2x 40w PC
grimlock3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 06:03 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
I'd go with a Won Pro Heat...I've had great luck with them. I used to like the VisiTherms until I had one explode in my sump. JMHO.
Old 11-15-2004, 06:08 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

well, by blowing up i mean the glass cracking and smoke coming up from the unit...sorry if that was misleading. i do have a surge protector on everything. the heater has always been underwater... it is just very odd that this happened.. i have had a tetra heater for my fw tank for over a year w/o any trouble. bad luck i guess??

is my water safe or is it contaminated?
Old 11-15-2004, 06:25 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
I'd do a water change just to be safe. My Visi Therm sounded like a firecracker going off underwater. Big, hollow thump...cloud of smoke and steam...actually blew some water out of the sump.
Old 11-17-2004, 07:44 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Wow, their older models were flawless. Sounds like a quality control issue with the new one's. Not a good sign.
46g SW, 65 lbs Fiji LR, 4" Aragamax DSB, Coralife 2X96w CF, CPR Bakpak II, CPR Aquafuge 12 w/ 2x9 Coralife Mini Aqualight, 4 Maxijet 600's, PCI 200W Titanium Heater, 2 Blue Green Chromis, 1 Gold Bar Maroon Clown, 1 Purple-Stripe Dottyback, Finger Leather, Trumpets, Rose Coral Open-Brain, Pagoda Cup, Xenia, Star Polyps, Yellow Polyps, Various Mushrooms, Toadstool Leather, 12 Astraea, 10 Nassarius, 4 Bumble Bee, 6 Cerith Snails, 12 Red Tip Hermits.
phases99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2004, 10:00 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

well, i bought a visi therm stealth. its made of plastic and is supposedly shatter proof. and it has auto shut off if it overheats. so far, so good.
Old 11-18-2004, 12:53 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I had a visi therm that stuck and boiled one of my tanks. Only thing going for titanium heaters is that they dont shatter or crack but they can still malfunction and boil your tank.
klam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2004, 07:22 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by klam
I had a visi therm that stuck and boiled one of my tanks. Only thing going for titanium heaters is that they dont shatter or crack but they can still malfunction and boil your tank.
That stinks!!! Using 2 smaller heaters instead of 1 large one will help avoid that kind of disaster. I wish I thought of it before I bought mine.

46g SW, 65 lbs Fiji LR, 4" Aragamax DSB, Coralife 2X96w CF, CPR Bakpak II, CPR Aquafuge 12 w/ 2x9 Coralife Mini Aqualight, 4 Maxijet 600's, PCI 200W Titanium Heater, 2 Blue Green Chromis, 1 Gold Bar Maroon Clown, 1 Purple-Stripe Dottyback, Finger Leather, Trumpets, Rose Coral Open-Brain, Pagoda Cup, Xenia, Star Polyps, Yellow Polyps, Various Mushrooms, Toadstool Leather, 12 Astraea, 10 Nassarius, 4 Bumble Bee, 6 Cerith Snails, 12 Red Tip Hermits.
phases99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eat, eater, heater

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com