Visit to Draco Marine Aquaculture in Baltimore MD *UPDATE*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How are they doing Fluff? How far is draco marine? Can you get food from them until you can get your stuff going?

They are doing ok for now. Just kinda swimming around. I hope they are ok til I can get some brine shrimp hatched out which won't happen til Sat. :?
I have about 30 so far and he doesn't even look any different yet. He's still got a huge pouch. I scooped them out and put them in a breeding net. I'm gonna try but if I'm not successful, hopefully I can try again.

Well, they made it through the night. I'm on my way out to try and find some brine eggs. I tried feeding them some cyclops but it's to big. These things are soo tiny. I hope they make it. I never found anymore last night and he looks thinner this morning so, I don't know what happened. First time for me so maybe it just takes them a few hours for their pouch to go down (kinda like us after having a baby? lol) I counted 30 but there was one dead one in there this morning. I hope that's not a sign of what's to come. :(

Those leafy seadragons are spectacular. I've always wanted one of those. Really for as long as I can remember. I thought that they were illegal to keep though? Anyone know? Was he selling them? Successful in breeding them?

Congrats on picking them up. I've got a tank all thought out for mine, when the day comes!!

Edit: Wow. I just got to the end of the thread and realized that you had babies! Too cool.

Thanks you all. Some have died already. They got caught between the mesh screen and the plastic grid of the holding net. :(

Phyl, he had just gotten the seadragons, I didn't ask but perhaps he has permits and whatnot to keep them. He had them shipped in from Australia but I don't know what all is involved with that. He's in the works trying to breed them. But, having only just gotten them, he's not been successful yet.

Well, I have about five left. They don't seem to be impressed with the food so doubtful they will survive. I'm afraid it's just to late. I'm disappointed but am not gonna dwell on it. I was not ready for babies and had requested one that wasn't pregnant. But, I don't think he has a horse that isn't pregnant. Well, hopefully there will be more. I will be prepared next time.

Hara, sorry I totally missed your question. Draco is about 1.5hrs from me and I should have called him and asked. I never even thought of that. :(

as a last ditch effort you might want to try egg yolks, I have raised many fry with it.

you do need to put the babies in a seperate container to do this tho. Hard boil an egg. take out the yolk and mash it. Put in a drop of vitamins if you have any. then put the yolk in a coffee filter or paper towel and squeeze it through the sides and into the water.
it will milky up the water just a little, so you will need to change out some water after each feeding. Let the yolk water stay in about an hour or so for them to eat. (I kind of think they "eat" by default and get a little nutrition). This might get them big enough to eat other foods.

coincidently, I just got my newsletter from marinedepotlive.com, draco marine is on the front page. They are now supplying marinedepotlive with reidi and erectus.

Very cool. They have no problem shipping when you are ready Hara. :D He told me they've shipped as far away as Italy so, getting some down to you shouldn't be a problem. lol

I'm feeding the babies every hour in an attempt to get them to feed but honestly, I can't tell. I'm gonna keep trying though. :)

I have a few left, some that I thought had perished were actually still alive when I went to remove them. I've moved the babies to their own tank, hope that helps.

Well, none of the babies made it. :(
But, the Reidi were breeding again today. I'd been checking in off and on and everything seemed fine. I last checked about two hours ago and they seemed done. I just checked on them again and found the female has aborted a mess of eggs. So, now I'm not sure if any of the eggs got transferred or not. :?

Back
Top Bottom