vodka dosing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The Gillman

Aquarium Advice Regular
has anyone tried vodka dosing and if so what kind of results did you have ? im thinking about it in my 90 gal. but wonder if two cheesey hob skimmers can handle it.

Yeah, now I am kind of curious, what application would the vodka be used for?

I dont think getting your fish drunk is a very nice party trick. lol... in all seriousness, I'm wondering as well. I know alcohol can be a anesceptic, but I dont think vodka would be a good idea.

Rather than getting snippy, you could just educate people here. Or at least give a link.

I'm sure many here are familiar with dosing vodka, but you asked for people's experience with it. I don't think you'll find many people here that have tried it. Seems to me most folks here stay away from the trendy things and just practice good reefkeeping.

In my opinion, there is no silver bullet. If there was, it would be bottled and sold to the masses. And it'd work. If you're having nitrate problems, I'd opt for more traditional methods that don't have really bad possibilities if you screw up.

Wait...are we talking dosing to euthanize a fish? What really got me to thinking was the statement about the filters handling it....
The link I provided has several different options.

The gillman, you can post links to other sites....just to let you know, in case you didn't.

Last edited:
roka... google "dosing vodka" and you'll see what they're talking about. It's a way to supposedly reduce your excess nutrients in a tank by building up different bacteria that eventually burn themselves out and die off... hence the skimmer going berserk. As with most stuff, you'll find some folks that swear by it, and others that have nuked their tank doing it.

Well now here is another question... is this going to be only good in sw? or would fw also benifit from it? Was it even designed to be used for SW treatment? That is of course if it has a leg to stand on.

I have a friend who swears that it works wonders in the short term but that it can create a great deal of skimmate so you should check your skimmers at least daily.

MichaelsLilGray - I would definitely not recommend it for any FW purpose as it would likely create a massive bacterial bloom that could easily consume most of the O2 in your water column and crash your tank.

I for one I guess being on the practical side will stay with what`s worked for over ten yrs for me. I `d rather stay with the long term solution that`s tried and proven. JMO

I for one I guess being on the practical side will stay with what`s worked for over ten yrs for me. I `d rather stay with the long term solution that`s tried and proven. JMO

i gotta agree with you here. sounds like a genie in a bottle type deal that can easily turn into a monster in a bottle.

I have done some reading lately on dosing Vodka. It is used as Kurt said to reduce excess nutrients and more specifically Phosphates and Nitrates. From what I have read there are far more cons then there are pros. I have read of several tank crashes from dosing vodka. I'll just stick with water changes.

Back
Top Bottom