Vodka dosing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Buklau

Aquarium Advice Regular
Has anyone used vodka for carbon dosing? If so did it work, and would you recommend it?

Cool thanks. That's the article I read that made me want to do it. I am just having problems with phos. I do pwc weekly and keep up with clean up. I must over feed? Maybe I'll cut back.

What are you feeding? If it's pieces of frozen cubes (mysis, brine, etc), do you rinse it? If not, then that "cloudy soup" is also adding large amounts of nutrients. I use a very small plastic cup (jello shot cup) to thaw my food, then pull the "soup" off with a pipette..... add some more water, swirl around, repeat. I do this about 3-4 times. I also spot feed a few bits at a time with the pipette, I don't just dump the bowl in. That way I can see exactly what everyone is eating.

EDIT: Are you using RODI water??

I vodka dosed for months and it does work but I found I started to get alot of cynobacteria so I read an article about vinegar dosing and how its not suppose to cause that so I've been using vinegar instead plus its alot cheaper.

No I'm not rinsing my food. May be that is the problem. I am using ro/di water. I hope that fixes the problem. I am about to get a reactor from brs, and run gfo and carbon. If I do that do I still need to dose vodka?

Back
Top Bottom