Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-14-2014, 12:17 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Vodka dosing

Has anyone on here tried vodka dosing to lower nitrates, if so how were the results, and what was the process

Old 01-14-2014, 01:05 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Yes, it works well.
Here's instructions-
Vodka Dosing by 'Genetics' and 'Stony_Corals' - Reefkeeping.com

Old 01-15-2014, 03:10 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Cool, so I think the reason why my nitrates are so high is that I am overstocked with fish my nitrates stay within 20-40 I'm loosing some of my sps. I want to give vodka dosing a try . How long should i dose and once I get my nitrates Down should I stop. And what r some of the risks of dosing. I want to go home and do a 20 gallon water change and begin this immediately
Old 01-15-2014, 04:04 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcj0033 View Post
Cool, so I think the reason why my nitrates are so high is that I am overstocked with fish my nitrates stay within 20-40 I'm loosing some of my sps. I want to give vodka dosing a try . How long should i dose and once I get my nitrates Down should I stop. And what r some of the risks of dosing. I want to go home and do a 20 gallon water change and begin this immediately
There is a high risk in Vodka Dosing. Your tank may crash if you don't do it right. You have to follow precisely the instruction and with the right amount and intervals. You need to monitior your tank for any sign of abnormality. The amount of dosing is increased gradually and it takes time before you notice its effect. It is a continuous dosing even you already reached the right parameter. I tried it but I lost patience and I was concerned of the risk so I stopped. Since the skimmer is a must anyway so I thought why not just get a more effective skimner without dosing. That's what I did and my parameter is great.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90w86...A434PW3gEa1-QA
jeffaquarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 04:54 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Just read that link and follow the instructions and you'll be fine. If you stop the dosing, your nitrates will go back up. I would remove some of the fish and then you can keep your sps happy.
Old 01-16-2014, 12:33 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Cool, I'm ready to try it. Is biofuel by bright well basically the same thing
Old 01-16-2014, 04:46 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

I don't know the product. I hear you can have the same results with any carbon source. Sugar comes to mind.
Old 01-16-2014, 05:57 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I tried sugar dosing to drop nitrates and phosphates. It works! I had extremly high nitrates after moving and resetting 2 tanks I bought used. I am talking off the chart nitrates. 3 days of sugar dosing got them down to around 40ppm then I did a big water change and took it to about 10 ppm. One more sugar dose zeroed out the trates.
You must have a good protiene skimmer!! The skimmate comming out of those tanks was alot and realy grose. Problem solved tho nitrates are 0ppm phosphates are trace at most. I do not dose any more I only did it short term to get the water perams under control. Now regular water changes keeps it in check.
Old 01-16-2014, 06:34 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

This would never work for me... One for the tank..... One for me..... Would be too messy to try lol. Best of luck though I have read that it can work quite well when done right!!!
Old 01-16-2014, 06:55 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I would never use it long term but for a quick fix its great. Saved me quite a bit in salt mixes for continued large water changes to get the trates in control.
Havent used it any after perams were in check. Never get over 5-10 ppm now

Tags
dosing

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com