volitan lion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Michellej

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I bought a baby volitan lion and I have had many people say to feed them frozen food and others say live food. Can someone tell me what you feed yours?

It's best to get it weaned off of a live diet if it's not already. Cheaper to. It's not that hard. I dont' have a volitans but my zebra loves freeze dried krill, fresh (fish market) shrimp and silverside. Get a feeding stick or some feeding tongs and wiggle a piece of fish in front of him to entice him. Might take a few tries before hes hungry enough to try it but be persistent. I feed mine three or four times a week. HTH

:eek: It's allways best to feed these guy's frozen foods because of the nutrients that are found in them, and the added vitamins that you can add too them, but it is also important to try, and keep with the natural ways in which they eat in the wild, so once a week feeding live food keeps them connected to thier roots! Feeders are at best just a meal with no beneficial ingredients.Good luck with the lion, they are such beautifull animals! :wink: M Rako

M Rako said:
but it is also important to try, and keep with the natural ways in which they eat in the wild, so once a week feeding live food keeps them connected to thier roots!

Unless you are rehabilitating a fish for release, I don't see how this is a necessity. There is no reason you would ever need to feed them live food. Also, with live food, especially since most live feeders are fw fish, you take a chance of introducing disease to your tank/fish. JMO

Back
Top Bottom