Volitan Lion tank mates?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mebbid

Aquarium Advice Addict
So my LFS got some Black Volitan Lions in and I am drooling over them. I would have to trade the majority of my fish in but was wondering if it would go along with some of my must haves.

What I would like to have together in a 90g:

Blue Throat Trigger
Coral Beauty Angel
Kole Yellow Eye Tang
Volitan Lion

The two things I'm worried about is the volitan lion eating the angel and the trigger attacking the lion.

Anything it can fit in its mouth it will eat.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Blue throats are usually peaceful, but you know your particular fishes temperament and I had the same thought concerning the dwarf angel, "will it end up as food?"

Everyone else should be fine.

Blue throats are usually peaceful, but you know your particular fishes temperament and I had the same thought concerning the dwarf angel, "will it end up as food?"

Everyone else should be fine.

Well from what I've read is that triggers hunt lions. But him being a Blue throat and not a typical trigger I was thinking that it wouldn't be the same. But yes, I was worried about the dwarf angel

Well from what I've read is that triggers hunt lions. But him being a Blue throat and not a typical trigger I was thinking that it wouldn't be the same. But yes, I was worried about the dwarf angel

One other concern with the dwarf angel and lion together is if the lion did attempt to eat it, there is the chance the lion could choke on it.
I've seen it happen before, lion thinks he can eat something but can only get it halfway down then it's lodged in it's throat by the fin spines.

Sad to have to euthanize a lion, but when managing a lfs we had it happen twice because we figured "no way that lion will that fit fish in his mouth", well we were half right, it fit in the mouth, but not the throat. :(

One other concern with the dwarf angel and lion together is if the lion did attempt to eat it, there is the chance the lion could choke on it.
I've seen it happen before, lion thinks he can eat something but can only get it halfway down then it's lodged in it's throat by the fin spines.

Sad to have to euthanize a lion, but when managing a lfs we had it happen twice because we figured "no way that lion will that fit fish in his mouth", well we were half right, it fit in the mouth, but not the throat. :(

I had a rainbow do the same thing with a shrimp. Swam around for 15 minutes with it in his mouth before managing to spit it out

I had a rainbow do the same thing with a shrimp. Swam around for 15 minutes with it in his mouth before managing to spit it out

Yeah we actually waited for a couple of days and tried to gently remove it when it happened. A couple of times we were successful, but those two times not so much.:(
sad thing is they don't actually "choke" if they get it in far enough, but rather starve/decline because they can't eat and have a decaying fish stuck in their throat.

Angelfish are also known to bite the spines off lionfish just like trigger fish do .

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom