Volitan Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thor32766

Aquarium Advice Regular
Would a volitan be ok by himself for a 55 gallon tank. I have a 90 also but that is for more of the show tank. I love lions and I have a 55 I can setup to put just him in one. Any remarks?

thanks for your time
brian

If he was absolutely the only fish in there and you are diligent with water changes and have good filtration then yeah, you could probably make it work.

melosu58 said:
I sure would like to see him in the 90

Same here. I normally suggest no less than a 75. These are big fish and while they aren't very active, they do swim a little an really would appreciate the space. And, bigger is always better when dealing with large predatory fish. But, the 55 can work since it will be the only fish.
I also wanted to add, be sure to give him a good many rock caves to hang out in. They like to hang out upside down in caves and would appreciate that sense of security.

thanks for all your replys, I will let you know the progress along the way.

I currently have a Volitan Lionfish ina 55 gallon tank. (I know bigger is much better) Yet I have plenty of filtration within my tank and she is doing wonderful. My water quality is perfect. If the Volitan Lionfish is the only fish I believe she would be fine. Because I already run the setup you are about to do. :lol:

My Volitan was the centerpiece of my 175 for a very long time. They are a very striking and beautiful fish when they get large.

Another alternative to the volitan would be one of the smaller lions. You could also have a friend or 2 in there with him. Just a thought.

The volitan is one of the most beautiful fish the marine aquarist can purchase. but they really need plenty of room to cruise and grow properly.

I like all Lions but if you question having space for a Volitan than look at a Russell's Lion. They look like a Volitan without all the spots & max out around 12 inches.

Kaye

Back
Top Bottom