Voltage In Water?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BeachMan

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I tested for stray voltage in my reef tank and there was, i went about unplugging everything and it was my heater that was causing this. Is there any long term effects because i have had many fish die and the water has been fine.

I read that stray voltage can be the cause or one of the factors leading to lateral line erosion, marine version of hole-in-the-head disease and also cause fish to be very skittish.
I believe that a study was done that stray voltage is prevalent in an aquarium that uses any electrical device including light fixtures. Some have measured as high as 50 volts!
Easy solution, just get a ground probe that runs anywhere from $10-$20. Problem solved.

I tested by sticking the black voltage cord in the third hole (the ground socket) and then the red one in the aquarium and reading the meter, it sounds dangerous but its not.

I have never been convinced this way of testing actually shows evidence of stray voltage. I think it has something to do with the water and ground point you are using are at different potentials (voltage potentials) for one another.

In any effect, you could always change out the heater to be safe. You could also invest in a grounding probe.

Hmm, good reading on the link above, going to research its validity a little further but its always cool to have to step back and question something at once thought to be certain (i.e. never fear I put in a probe) Please nobody make fun of me for using the word "certain" in regards to SW aquaria

That is a good link, Mac. I have read it before but couldn't remember the link. I'll bookmark it this time.

Back
Top Bottom