voltage stray

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marquis

Aquarium Advice Freak
is stray voltage a super bad thing what's a cheap easy way to ground my tank ?

does every tank have a small amount of stray voltage? and can't i make a ground probe ?

No. Every tank doesn't have stray voltage, but these hobby grade components aren't to be trusted. I don't know if you can make one. Can you?

mr_X said:
No. Every tank doesn't have stray voltage, but these hobby grade components aren't to be trusted. I don't know if you can make one. Can you?

im always looking for cheaper ways to do things I'll look around im sure its possible to make my tank has got some noticeable voltage stray and i want to get rid of it asap

I was talking about this in another thread and I forget the members name but he is an electrician and he disagrees with a grounding probe since it will give the voltage a path and will essentially electrocute your fish. He recommends a gfci outlet to protect tank. Any change in voltage the circuit will trip. Although you will loose power to the circuit.

I was talking about this in another thread and I forget the members name but he is an electrician and he disagrees with a grounding probe since it will give the voltage a path and will essentially electrocute your fish. He recommends a gfci outlet to protect tank. Any change in voltage the circuit will trip. Although you will loose power to the circuit.

If you use one of those gfci outlet and the circuit trips what happens to the occupants in the tank when it trips and you are not there to switch it back?

mwilliams said:
If you use one of those gfci outlet and the circuit trips what happens to the occupants in the tank when it trips and you are not there to switch it back?

they are on their own... still an issue i need to solve

mwilliams said:

This is my dilemma. Thought about protected single outlets with gfi and plug heater in and powerheads. Equipment most likely to fail. I am also getting a aqua controller that would email if power is lost. I bought a single gfi today but I am afraid to set it up so the whole tank room is connected to it. Leaving as is until I find best solution. I do not have any stray voltage now. Just trying to get as many failsafes in as possible.

I think I will keep mine on the surge procters I am gone 9 hrs a day and don't want that on my mind if the gfci outlet trip and I am not there to push the button back into place for the electricity to come back on to that outlet.

I been running my system on a gfi outlet for about 3 years now and never has is tripped or been an issue. I also have a ground probe. the one time that my outlet tripped was when I had an aquipment malfunction (heater broke).

If one of ur pumps sends electricity into the water ur gfi will trip. If u ground the tank itself than the electricity will flow through the water shocking all that's in it till it exits through the prob. I wouldn't ground the tank. I have never even seen a power head that comes grounded and normally a motor grounded.

As long as u come home that night ur occupants should be fine. When people buy offljne they are in a nag with no flow right. Ur main breaker would trip anyway when it senses a short. A short would happen when the electricity goes into ur tank. I don't run a gfci plug myself. Ur surge protector probably has u covered

To answer ur question Mr x sure u could just p lug a conductive rod to the ground on ur outlet and nothing else only that little hole there

Jason M said:
If one of ur pumps sends electricity into the water ur gfi will trip. If u ground the tank itself than the electricity will flow through the water shocking all that's in it till it exits through the prob. I wouldn't ground the tank. I have never even seen a power head that comes grounded and normally a motor grounded.

not entirely true. none my fish were harmed. and I actually have two power heads that have ground. my octopus skimmer pump also has ground.

Jereli said:
not entirely true. none my fish were harmed. and I actually have two power heads that have ground. my octopus skimmer pump also has ground.

So you have a gfi and a ground probe? Then your equipment failed and caused the gfi outlet to trip? That is good to know. I think I'm gonna wait till I get my apex controller before I install gfi outlet the. I would get email saying lost power.

Ur gfi can trip by itself if it detects a different voltage over the two poles. A grounded powerhead may cause stray voltage to not even make it into the water. Thing is water is more conductive than any metal so its a toss up. Just cuz something is grounded doesn't mean that it always works. U can still get electricity through u if u are the easiest path to ground so don't trust them. I havent seen any grounded power heads but I haven't seen that many. My skimmer is grounded as well.

I don't run a gfci they are pretty much the same as the breakers in ur closet or where ever ur house breakers are only more sensitive. Either way somethjbg trips

Back
Top Bottom