Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-02-2003, 02:23 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to toddwess
Vortex Diatom Filters

Does anyone use these??

Will they remove brown algae?

thanks,
todd

Old 09-02-2003, 02:37 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

A diatom filter will be useful for removing free floating alge from the water, but will do nothing for the algae that coats the surfaces of the aquarium. A diatom filter doesn't filter diatoms, it uses diatomaceous earth in combination with amicron filter to polish the water.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2003, 02:43 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Crap! This brown algae is killing me!! I've been doing 5 gallon water changes every day for the past 5 days using DI water AND vaccuming the rock and sand with a hose. Phosphates are 0.0 (and I assume my silicates are zero too as I am using a phosphate/silicate magnet in the sump) and my nitrates are around 10ppm. I guess it just takes time to get rid of them. I could go on and on about my hatred for these things, but I think you get the picture!

I was reading on some sites that the diatom filter can actually filter out to 1 micron and can filter out the ich parasite. This sounds encouraging to me.

Todd
Old 09-03-2003, 12:54 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

They rock. Of course they won't solve the root of the problem. They are so effective that you'll almost swear there is no water in the tank (unless you have aeration running). They are so good at micro-mechanical filtration that they become clogged within hours which is why you only run them until the water is crystal clear. I run mine about an hour or two a month and I can tell you that this is "hands-down" the best and fastest way to clear most any cloudy aquarium. It has never failed to get my water perfectly clear. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED. You WILL NOT be disappointed if you get one.
Old 09-03-2003, 01:28 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks for the feedback, afFISHionado! Do you think they would remove brown algae that is free floating in the water?

Todd
Old 09-03-2003, 01:44 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

By just filtering it out, you are not really curing the problem, just hiding it. How old is your tank, what system are you running, what kind of livestock do you have? If you have a reef, removing all the smallest particulate matter may not be in your best interest.

As for ich, removing it with a filter is not a known treatment. The best way is to keep the parasite out by quarantining each new livestock addition, then there is pretty much 0% chance of ever having a problem.
HoopsGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2003, 03:14 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Oh, I agree completely. I'm not looking to solve the problem at all. I have managed to get my phosphates down, my silicates down and my nitrates down. The problem is that the brown stuff needs to come out of the water, that's all. I could be patient and wait, or vaccum the LR and sand, but was just wondering if this item would help out. They are pretty $$$$$!
Todd
Old 09-03-2003, 03:39 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I was able to nose around and see you had some tank disasters lately. I would probably just drag out a bit of extra patience and allow the tank to stabilize again rather that spending all that money.
HoopsGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2003, 08:37 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

You are quite right. Patience . . . patience . . . patience.

I'll need to work on that - but you're right!

Todd
Old 09-04-2003, 08:47 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

I just checked out Vortex's website. The D-1 model looks identical to the one I bought 20 years ago. However, according to Vortex, you can keep them running at all times now. I don't understand how it can do this now without clogging but that is their claim. In that case, IF it is capable of removing suspended brown algae, then maybe this would ac tually be a cure for your problem. I'd still continue keeping phosphates, silicates and nitrates down to a minimum though to keep the filter from being clogged by its continuous removal of excess brown algae.

Tags
diatom, filter, filters

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com