Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-08-2011, 08:17 AM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict

My LFS holds and treats fish for two weeks before they go on display, if you purchase they will hold the fish in isolation for two more weeks if you request. They house most of the fish independently that cost more than 20 bucks. In addition they have sick tanks which they will show you but won't sell to you, if you want a fish that is sick they will hold until healthy and isolate for two weeks. That is why I trust my LFS, myself and 6 of my friends that keep sw tanks have never lost a fish we bought from them. After all of this I put them in my 35 gallon QT for a week anyways. The point I was making is QT is important, but even more so when you have no idea where it came from. How can you trust livestock that you buy sight unseen? Too many horror stories I have heard.

Old 03-08-2011, 08:27 AM   #22
Aquarium Advice FINatic

It's just not fair, IMO, to say an online retailer is more likely to have sick fish. GOOD online retailers QT their fish for a month before sending them out.
I don't understand the problem here. All I was saying is buying locally doesn't eliminate the need to QT.

Old 03-08-2011, 08:34 AM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict

Absolutely it doesn't eliminate the need as I said, but I have heartburn going by what an online company says they do and seeing the shape my friends Picasso trigger arrived in. Same for my neighbors flame angel, I am not suggesting that every fish purchased online is sickly, I am saying that I would much rather buy from a place where I can see the specimen before purchase, witness it eat and come back several times to ensure its health before I buy it, my lfs keeps the backdoor open, literally. There is something to be said for a store that transparent.
Old 03-08-2011, 08:37 AM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict

My advice to her would be to establish a QT regardless of where she obtains the livestock from, it can be set up cheap. Surf Craigslist for a small tank, cycle it and throw some pvc pieces in there for the fish to hid so they don't stress. No need to spend a lot of money on the setup.
Old 03-08-2011, 09:30 AM   #25
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I recently set up a qt on the cheap, the money isn't really the issue, it's the space. Current qt is on the kitchen table. LOL Unless the occupant dies or recovers really quick I can't use that one.

The two stores I have settled on dealing with can both hold my fish. After lenghtly discussions I know both of their qt procedures and would trust them to hold and care for the fish until I pick them up.

It's just that neither one has the black clowns and no one I could find in the phone book has em either. The one store got 2 but he said they looked real bad so he wouldnt sell them to me.

I know I can find the regular looking clownfish, even true percs if I wanted. Just so indecisive right now. I've been waiting what seems like forever. I've had an empty tank for almost 2 months. (cept for the anem, corals and cuc). Wasn't sure if people hold on this long for a silly fish.

Thanks for the input guys, I appreciate it.
Old 03-08-2011, 09:56 AM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have been in a LFS when fish come in and have seen how stressed out they are. So letting them keep them until I can see them eating is my way of saving myself money. There is a couple of LFS that QT the fish for 2 weeks but when I ask to see the fish eat they aren't eating yet and and I have actually seen the ribs sticking out on tangs the like.

No it isn't silly if that is the fish you are truly want. Some wild caught fish are seasonal people wait on them too.
Old 03-08-2011, 10:08 AM   #27
Aquarium Advice Freak

Try bluezooaquatics.com I received a Kole tang, yellow watchman goby, and a dusky jawfish last Thursday. I had my QT set up, but was using a clamp (like a big dummy) temporarily to hold the air line for my sponge filter, and the splash rusted the darn thing over night, so I was unable to QT my 3 new fish.

Needless to say, all 3 fish arrived healthy. The tang was grazing within an hour, and the jawfish ate everything I gave him (I took him to a LFS yesterday because my tank has been a constant sandstorm since introducing him) and the YWG has gone MIA, but that's not uncommon from what I hear.

I highly recommend bluezooaquatics. Try them if you're not having any luck elsewhere.
Old 03-08-2011, 10:16 AM   #28
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Very cool site. They had more than I expected. I'm gonna browse over there for awhile, I can learn some stuff while I go too.

If I was gonna order online I was hoping to find a place in or near florida, that would make the travel time even less.

But then I'm back to the qt tank issue. Maybe i could move the FW qt into the guest room and put another one in the kitchen. LOL

I AM the crazy fish lady.....
Old 03-08-2011, 10:19 AM   #29
Aquarium Advice Freak

As far as I'm aware, all places will ship priority overnight and wait until the last minute to take them to the shipper. Shipping time will be about the same no matter where you are. It's still going to take the flight, ride a truck, and sit until the local delivery drivers begin their routes.

Mine were shipped FedEx, and their priority overnights are delivered by 10:30 am. Mine arrived at 9:30. They left California at 7:30 pm my time, and were at my doorstep 14 hours later.
Old 03-08-2011, 10:21 AM   #30
Aquarium Advice Addict

I got mine here... ORA Black & White False Percula - Aquacultured

Yeah, they're on a wait, but they physically drive to ORA and pick them up and pack and ship them. They don't even go into the SWfish tanks. ORA medicates and holds until they are healthy. You are getting fish that are in medicated water. The chances of them having anything are slim.

They're in Florida

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com