Waiting almost a month for fish. Should I reconsider?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

carey

Aquarium Advice Addict
I really wanted 2 black clown fish. Everyone has the regular nemo ones. BUT I've been searching high and low and finding none. Been calling around and no one is getting any in that they are willing to sell. Either picasso ones which they keep or they dont look good according to the stores.

I guess my thought is, should I keep waiting? I know it's a personal decision but I have a fishless tank with just cuc and corals and would like some movement.

I do intend on putting in a blenny and/or a goby, maybe I should look for these first?

I'm bored, and frustrated so any thoughts would be great.

Thanks

I would go and get maybe some inverts and other fish you planned on putting in there...but never give up! I've been search for a butis butis for what seems like an eternity. Granted I don't already have a tank set up for him...

I ordered two bichirs online and they seemed a little under fed but other than that there was no issues at all! Still happily swimming along to this day.

Has anyone used thatfishplace.com for live specimens? They have the black clowns I want and they also have a cool looking black clarkii clown.

If you order online you need to make sure you QT the fish, many fish don't ship well and you never know what is in the water. It's always important to QT but when you have no idea where they came from it becomes that much more important.

Darn, another issue to deal with then. My qt is setup for a sick cichlid right now and a 2nd qt isnt viable right now.

never thought about that end of it. Thanks so much. Guess I will continue to search locally and somewhat locally.

No problem, good luck finding them, I don't know what the market is like up there but they are all over the Tampa area, your lfs should be able to order them for you. I don't know how much they are there, but I haven't seen them for more than 25 here.

I know the lfs here has them all the time if you are any where near fort wayne indiana maybe he could ship them to you or something I dunno he calls them the obamas cause they come as pairs..

I'm gonna start making some calls. Since I don't have a SW QT I'm gonna have to pick them up myself. They go for either $30 or $40 each around me.

LOL Thanks. I just may do that. Dont know what the b/f would say if I told him we need a 4th tank. I know I can get one more tank but I was holding out for a 110 or 220. :-DD

A thought just occurred to me, what if the first place I find them is at Petco? I go in often and I know they've had them. Think it would be safe?

I don't trust petco fish. Since it's a California based company, by California law, they cannot medicate any fish for any reason. So if one fish has a disease, they all do.

Ask your LFS to see if they can order you a pair. I know a couple of places around me that will bend over backwards to get a fish in for me. I usually get it a couple of days after it gets in and when I go get it I ask to see it eat. My excuse is I will come get it when I have to do a water change on my tank so I can drip acclimate it to my tank. I use petco for hardware only. I nearly got myself a maxi mini anemone and went back twice to get it but they couldn't get it off the filter guard. I found one at a LFS that was just as pretty.

I'm gonna start making some calls. Since I don't have a SW QT I'm gonna have to pick them up myself. They go for either $30 or $40 each around me.

Why only QT if you order? QTing is a personal decision, but there's really nothing safer about buying from a LFS. Just because you can't see it, doesn't mean it's not sick. Your LFS's "QT" protocol you mentioned on another thread didn't sound like a QT to me.

carey said:
A thought just occurred to me, what if the first place I find them is at Petco? I go in often and I know they've had them. Think it would be safe?

Never had a problem with petco.
The fish I got from petco lived for a VERY long time until they got sick from a fish from the LFS.

My tomato clown came from an online store and he is healthy and happy, would do it again ;) and they are cheaper too!!!

Back
Top Bottom