Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-10-2010, 10:52 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Wandering Snails...

I was just wondering if anyone here also has snails that like to roam outside the tank? It happens to me once in a while, I'll come home and catch a turbo snail hanging out on the wrong side of the glass. I peel him off and plop him back in. Just one of the many weird things I see and was curious if anyone sees the same thing.

-Chuck
Krypt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 11:06 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

I have only seen my turbos clinging to the pipes. Durso or retrun pipes, but never on the other side of the glass. Always over the tank, but could be inches above it on the pipes.

My lfs has sworn an oath about not keeping nassarius snails since he says they always crawl out of his tanks.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 03:02 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I found one of my crabs in a bathroom across the apartment
Old 08-10-2010, 03:07 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

my astreas always do that. pop out of the water and roam above the water line. no idea why.
Dorm Pico Tank
Jimbo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 03:57 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Ive got nerites that leave the tank. I read that this is NOT normal and that the nerites were wrongly collected as 100% reef snails when they are actually intertidal snails that leave the water regularly. There are supposedly two kinds. Many LFS just sell the wrong kind since they are far easier to collect. Poor snails. I just pop them off the tank and toss them back in.
Matt
Old 08-10-2010, 08:41 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion

I have seen my Nerites all the way out of the tank on the carpet and dry, yet still alive. Luckily it hasn't happened for months. It would be interesting to know if the above post is true, or if it even matters if they are "reef" or inter tidal" I haven't seen any negative effects of my nerites, which are pretty big, larger than a seedless grape... except for ending up on the carpet
Old 08-10-2010, 09:49 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I forget where I read about the two kinds of nerites, but I have observed this at home. I have another kind of nerite called a "tapestry" nerite that looks like a designer version of the common nerite. They NEVER come out of the water, ever. The regular nerites come out every day and go back every night. Weird. Maybe I read about this on reefcleaners.org?

Matt
Old 08-10-2010, 11:45 PM   #8
Algae Fighter

Send a message via MSN to JustOneMore20
Do ya'll have tanks with the top brace? None of my snails have ever ventured to the other side of the glass. I have the brace on my tank though and I think the lip probably keeps them in...just wondering if my theory is right or not...haha!

I think I'd be pretty shocked to see one on the outside of the glass!

JustOneMore20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 12:43 AM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrg02d View Post
I forget where I read about the two kinds of nerites, but I have observed this at home. I have another kind of nerite called a "tapestry" nerite that looks like a designer version of the common nerite. They NEVER come out of the water, ever. The regular nerites come out every day and go back every night. Weird. Maybe I read about this on reefcleaners.org?

Matt
I got my nerites from thta site.
Old 08-11-2010, 12:44 AM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustOneMore20 View Post
Do ya'll have tanks with the top brace? None of my snails have ever ventured to the other side of the glass. I have the brace on my tank though and I think the lip probably keeps them in...just wondering if my theory is right or not...haha!

I think I'd be pretty shocked to see one on the outside of the glass!
The lip on my acrylic tank is like 4" at minium.

Tags
snail, snails

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com