Wandering Snails...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Krypt

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I was just wondering if anyone here also has snails that like to roam outside the tank? It happens to me once in a while, I'll come home and catch a turbo snail hanging out on the wrong side of the glass. I peel him off and plop him back in. Just one of the many weird things I see and was curious if anyone sees the same thing. :shocked!:

I have only seen my turbos clinging to the pipes. Durso or retrun pipes, but never on the other side of the glass. Always over the tank, but could be inches above it on the pipes.

My lfs has sworn an oath about not keeping nassarius snails since he says they always crawl out of his tanks.

Ive got nerites that leave the tank. I read that this is NOT normal and that the nerites were wrongly collected as 100% reef snails when they are actually intertidal snails that leave the water regularly. There are supposedly two kinds. Many LFS just sell the wrong kind since they are far easier to collect. Poor snails. I just pop them off the tank and toss them back in.
Matt

I have seen my Nerites all the way out of the tank on the carpet and dry, yet still alive. Luckily it hasn't happened for months. It would be interesting to know if the above post is true, or if it even matters if they are "reef" or inter tidal" I haven't seen any negative effects of my nerites, which are pretty big, larger than a seedless grape... except for ending up on the carpet

I forget where I read about the two kinds of nerites, but I have observed this at home. I have another kind of nerite called a "tapestry" nerite that looks like a designer version of the common nerite. They NEVER come out of the water, ever. The regular nerites come out every day and go back every night. Weird. Maybe I read about this on reefcleaners.org?

Matt

Do ya'll have tanks with the top brace? None of my snails have ever ventured to the other side of the glass. I have the brace on my tank though and I think the lip probably keeps them in...just wondering if my theory is right or not...haha!

I think I'd be pretty shocked to see one on the outside of the glass!

I forget where I read about the two kinds of nerites, but I have observed this at home. I have another kind of nerite called a "tapestry" nerite that looks like a designer version of the common nerite. They NEVER come out of the water, ever. The regular nerites come out every day and go back every night. Weird. Maybe I read about this on reefcleaners.org?

Matt

I got my nerites from thta site.

Do ya'll have tanks with the top brace? None of my snails have ever ventured to the other side of the glass. I have the brace on my tank though and I think the lip probably keeps them in...just wondering if my theory is right or not...haha!

I think I'd be pretty shocked to see one on the outside of the glass!

The lip on my acrylic tank is like 4" at minium.

I have the lip and top brace on mine but they still keep on going. Glad to see I am not alone!

Back
Top Bottom