want a sump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

evman333

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
im new to saltwater i have a 29 gallon tank and want a sump
i have no idea what a sump is for though
can i buy one or is it better to build one
any advice would be great:)

Hey send a pm to Sumphead I know he does some pretty nice sumps at a very reasonable price..

i have no idea what a sump is for though
A sump is basically another smaller tank that sits under your tank and usually holds you heater, Thermometer, and other sorts of equiptment.. They add water volume to your tank as well as gives a place to hide equiptment and dose chemicals and such...

BTW I would ditch the chocolate Chip starfish as anyhting it can get on top it will eat...

HTH,
James

If all your looking for is a sump, and not a fancey sump/refuge combo, then If it were me i'd save some money and get a ten gallon tank and use that. 0X

Sump...

If you can get water to come out of the aquarium...into the sump...then back into the aquarium..then you've got a sump. What you put into the sump varies quite a bit.

You'll turn your 29gal into 35+ gallons (that's good for stability)
Hide all your heaters, filters, thermometres, skimmers etc. etc. (tank will look neater)

If you want 10gal of additional water you will need a tank bigger than 10 gal. You need to allow some room for the overflow to drain if the power it turned off.

BTW, you will need a HOB overflow to allow the water to drain from the display into the sump and then you will need a return pump to pump it back into the tank. You could get your tank drilled as an alternative to the HOB overflow.

I use a 20 gal tank with about 15 gal of water for my sump. I keep my skimmer and heater in the sump.

Back
Top Bottom