Want new lighting shooting for LEDs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

earlysteven

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I have a 150 gallon reef it's six foot long . It currently have metal halides and acintics I just bought 8 months ago for 500 bucks . I'm wanting to sell it and buy some LEDs just want to make sure they will grow my coral and isn't too expensive. I just installed a orbit on a friends tank and love the lighting storm and other settings . Anyone have any suggestions I live in central tax and my current light puts out almost 1500w.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

If you want cheap, you can get eBay 120w dimmable LEDs. You can grow anything under them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any specific brand? And another thing how do you convert watts per gallon with LEDs ?

I believe the most common brand is taotronics. But if you search eBay or amazon for "120w dimmable reef LEDs" you'll find them. They cover 2x2 ideally, but if you wanted to hang them a little higher I imagine you could get away with 2. There is no real watts/gal with LEDs, it's more about the power and efficiency of the individual diodes. Quality units usually run 3w LEDs, avoid units using 1w or lower LEDs as they lack the power for higher light species. The above units will allow you to keep anything you'd like though.

The LEDs with effects like the lightning storm that can support anything your heart desires end up being expensive. I know Radions can have the effect...I think the AI Sols can as well. Not really familiar with any others. Though I can turn it on, I don't and would rather it never be on. Don't want it freaking the fish out or even the dog.
Still, the LEDs that were already mentioned are great for the price and will grow anything you want that is photosynthetic.
It really all depends on the price range you want for such lights. The Taotronics start it off at the low end and it goes the whole way up into the several hundreds with the Radions and AI lights.

Mr-X: the lights on your link will grow all corals? I have the biocube 29. In your opinion, would those LED's be a good option for me? Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yes, you can grow whatever you want under them. I've been using them for a few years now. Sure, you could use one for a 29. You'll have to dim it a bit, but it will work fine.

I got one coming from China that i ordered last Tuesday & they will be in today. It's the led full spectrum for $111.00 cant beat that price. Pretty much the same one that all others are using rebadged

I have a 110 gallon tank that is 30" deep. I've got a kessil a150w, a Skkye single strip 14,000 led, and two TrueLumen led strips (12,000 and actinic respectively). Everything seems to be doing great, even my Derasa (who lives on the bottom). Everything listed is pretty cheep (I'm a full time university student, so I appereciate that), but I don't know how SPS would do...

Sweet guys thanks for the opinions I appreciate it especially from you long timer saltwater guys :) . I'm not going with the orbit system because of the cost would be outrageous lol but I am going to jump on the dims once I can sell my six foot light I bought a year ago lol.

Back
Top Bottom