Want to modify my lighting. :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Crystal A

Aquarium Advice Addict
as the title states I'm looking into updating my lighting. I have a jbj hqi 28 gallon nano cube and was thinking I would like to go the led route. The reason I would like to change is for heat issues, cost of replacement bulbs, being able to get rid of the ballast, and to be able to close my lid. Lol

I know there has been a few people on here who have taken the guts out of the lids before and put in led fixtures and I was wondering what specific types you folks would recommend. I'm sure this topic has come up before but I have the mind of a sieve and need a refresher course. Thanks. :)

Rapid LED has some great DIY LED kits and instructions. I built a fixture for my 12 long since I couldn't find an appropriate off the shelf fixture to fit it, and it was easier than I thought. If you have a soldering iron and some shrink tubing, it is a pretty easy process.

They have pre drilled/tapped heat sinks that you might be able to utilize - I am not familiar with your specific tank lid dimensions, but I imagine it would be very doable to add an LED fixture to it. You would need a driver for the leds as well, but that can be remote, so you wouldn't have to cram it in the lid.

Hmm DIY I was considering trying that route. I was looking at the AI nano led fixture. From what people have said on the forum they are some of the best led fixtures. I was just unsure if the unit was big enough for my tank or if it would be able to penetrate deep enough. The dimensions are
18"wide x 18"long x 16"deep. I know I would also have to get the controller so I would be able to utilize some if the neat features that it has. I will look into the DIY route as well see what I can find. Thanks. :)

I have the AI Sols and love them. The nano is just half a sol. Penetration will be no issue. The high powered LEds combined with the optics make them extremely powerful.

For what it's worth if you go DIY you can still get the same affects if you use a TYPHON led controller to control your DIY LEDs.

Back
Top Bottom