want to start a 10g coral/invert tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xxwolfpackof1xx

Aquarium Advice Addict
i was lookin into starting a 10g coral tank what would i need to hve it thrive and be sucessful

Sent from my Vortex using Aquarium

Filter, LR of course, a nice T5HO fixture. What types or corals are you looking at keeping? If only softies, LPS, and lower light SPS then 2-bulbs is all you'd need. If more SPS then a 4-6 bulb fixture would be needed.

Possibly a powerhead depending on the flow from the filter

It looks from your profile that you have a 15G FW tank. Just an upfront warning that it'll be a lot of work. Everything that was started above. 15lbs - 20lbs of LR and sand. A refractometer (to test salinity) a test kit (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate at least) A big bucket of salt. 3 weeks + of waiting for the tank to cycle. A couple buckets with extra heater and powerhead (you'll be doing a lot of PWC partial water changes)

Research is probably the first thing you will want for your tank. Figure out what you want and go from there. Type of coral what type of fish, if you are going to have messy eater get a bigger clean up crew and go with a better filter. If you want just softies, LPS or SPS with depend on the amount of flow you will need and the lighting.

Patience nothing good happens fast in SW. You will find the slower you go the more you will enjoy it less problems from the beginning.

Two things I think every saltwater tank needs is a refractometer and a test kit, then a nano tank an ATO I topped of water 2 times a day in my 24 gallon until I got one.

Last but not least plan ahead if you enjoy this tank either you will upgrade or start another one.

im noteven going to start it until november im realy into soft low lights and some harder corals i know nothing about salt water aquaria could you help please? ikkno the paitence of the cycle is to be expected but after that im clueless

il have around a 200 dollar budget if that helps plus the family will gladly get me some stuff for bday christmas

The one thing that concerns me about starting a tank that small with coral is the lighting. Most of us, once we start our tank want more which means a bigger tank. I'd hate to see you spend a lot of money on T5HO for a 10G reef only to upgrade and need new lighting for a bigger tank.

You want to have patience through out the life of your tank. You can do it with that amount if you watch for the deal on craigslist and forums. You tube will be a good place to start. This is a good idea instead of just a HOB filter or fuge YouTube - Feb09-2011 Fuge and Skimmer Mod I find a lot of ideas on youtube to make my tanks healthier and more fun.

When I set up a tank everything possible I get will be used to cut costs without cutting quality.

Instead of a skimmer do water changes on a tank that size, it will keep the water quality up so you don't have to dose. Also will keep the fish healthier.

nxb161 said:
The one thing that concerns me about starting a tank that small with coral is the lighting. Most of us, once we start our tank want more which means a bigger tank. I'd hate to see you spend a lot of money on T5HO for a 10G reef only to upgrade and need new lighting for a bigger tank.

i get what your saying but for fish i pefer fresh water and salt i olny want a reef but a 10g reef to small? i could go 15 but my budget would be comprimised a 15 at my petsmart runs 40 50 bucks n i heard a good lighting is 100 for the t5 things so thats at 150 i have 50 75 bucks left and wat i cant afford i can most deffiantly get for bday christmas

Watch out what coral you place in a tank that size. Xenia and GSP (green star polyp) for example will take over and quickly.

nxb161 said:
Watch out what coral you place in a tank that size. Xenia and GSP (green star polyp) for example will take over and quickly.

what are some good corals for a tank that size so i can do some research

I'll let someone else chime in, but really its a lot with what you're looking for. Most get their food from the light and water column while some require target feeding. Do you have a LFS near you? I have a good one around me, when I find something I like that I don't know a lot about I just tell them what my lighting is, and ask them how fast it grows. Corals do best when given space in between other types.

the only close one ikkno about is a petsmart but the only have fw theres a petco a half hour away that used to have some sw fish no coral *shrugs* what to do? id order online but isnt the live shipping prices outrageous

I wouldn't buy coral or fish from either of those places myself. How about a local reef club? Someone else will have to chime in, the only SW thing I've ever bought online was live rock.

nxb161 said:
I wouldn't buy coral or fish from either of those places myself. How about a local reef club? Someone else will have to chime in, the only SW thing I've ever bought online was live rock.

i looked on the local fourms but RI is dead theres no sw clubs etc

:( Well start searching LiveAquaria for what you like, and can afford. Post some of the names and we'll take it from there.

thanks nx ima do some research and post some stuff i like hopefuly i can get most for bday thats where my 200 dollar budget comes from anyways lol

Back
Top Bottom