Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-28-2008, 01:12 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Would it be possible jsut to use a 10 gallon tank next to it. I have an extra 10 gallon that I heard you could use, if you set up the water to return to the main tank. If it doesnt make a difference I might use that, if not ill probably just spring for the aquafuge........TIA......
Using a seperate tank refugium is tricky if your main is not a drilled tank. Unless you place the fuge above the main display, you will have to pump water into the fuge and then pump it out, which is a bad idea as matching the flow rates is pretty much impossible.

1 Powder Blue Tang, 1 Yellow Eyed Kole Tang, 2 Ocellaris Clownfish, 1 Talbot Damsel, 1 YWG, 1 Red Honey Damsel.
Patroklos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 06:20 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patroklos View Post
Using a seperate tank refugium is tricky if your main is not a drilled tank. Unless you place the fuge above the main display, you will have to pump water into the fuge and then pump it out, which is a bad idea as matching the flow rates is pretty much impossible.
I don't know much about SW but I thought that as long as the fuge was below the main display (like a sump) you could use a HOb overflow and let gravity to feed it and then pump the water back up to the main display. Wouldn't that work?

spilzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 06:28 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yep, that would work. As long as one side is gravity fed and the pump flow rate is less than what the gravity flow rate is then you will be fine.

1 Powder Blue Tang, 1 Yellow Eyed Kole Tang, 2 Ocellaris Clownfish, 1 Talbot Damsel, 1 YWG, 1 Red Honey Damsel.
Patroklos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 10:10 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I am looking at the Large AquaFuge 2 Pro for my 75gal tank (using a CS90 overflow to feed it @ 600gph) but hear the skimmer included in it isn't so great. is it possible to replace that skimmer with a better one and still place the skimmer in the sump/refugium?

now from what i have read, you need a pump that will pump out just less than what is being fed into the sump/refugium, so in this case just less than 600gph (is this correct? would a mag drive 5 (500gph) work?). wouldn't the pump mess up/destroy the pods that were grown in the refugium when they are sent back up into the display tank? and how would you prevent the whole thing from overflowing if the power and or pump died?
Old 11-08-2008, 04:21 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to mr86mister
This thread is wonderful so far. I've been looking to start a Fuge for my 46Gal Bowfront too. So keep talking and I'll keep reading!!

Tags
start

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com