Want to start a refuge, dont know where to start

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Squado

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have been recently reading up on the benefits of utilizing a refuge. Ive come down to the decision that I am going to get one, but have absolutely no idea where to start or where is a good place to buy the equiptment. I understand hoe the whole thing works but I am still uncertain about a lot. If anyone could point me in the right direction of how to set one up and a good place to buy the neccesities it would be most appreciated. TIA

Yeah I do have room on the back for the aquafuge. What size would you recommend for a 29 gallon tank? Also, I am having some difficulty understanding how the water is to be pumped into the fuge and then sent back in to the tank. Is easy plumbing involved?

Plumbing is easy. What kinda room you got back there? The bigger, the better.
Small is 13.5", medium 19", and large 25". They're all 4" deep/thick (from back of tank to wall), and 12" tall. $89, $99, & $115 respectively at marinedepot.com. Get the light kit for it too.

The fuge has a pump that attaches to the intake and sits inside of the tank. The water flows back into the tank way of gravity. You won't be able to light the fuge opposite of the main with this setup, but it's still worth it to add water volume and a place for your pods, macro algae, etc.

See the shot below. The pump will slip right onto the nearest balck tube you see. Then it'll overflow into the main back thru the pipe furthest away in the picture.

This a 25"er. HTH.

Thanks for all the help. I understand how it works now and the picture was great as well. Im def going to get one, probably the 25 inch. Quick question so I dont have to start another post, do I fill it up with water before I start it? Thanks so much.....

You don't need to fill it. As soon as you plug it in, the pump will begin to fill it, and as soon as it's full, the overflow will start to dump back into your tank.

...but there will be more water needed from the amount it draws from the main. I believe the 25"er holds 5g.

Oh yeah, sorry about the sideways pic.

Would it be possible jsut to use a 10 gallon tank next to it. I have an extra 10 gallon that I heard you could use, if you set up the water to return to the main tank. If it doesnt make a difference I might use that, if not ill probably just spring for the aquafuge........TIA......

Plumbing is easy. What kinda room you got back there? The bigger, the better.
Small is 13.5", medium 19", and large 25". They're all 4" deep/thick (from back of tank to wall), and 12" tall. $89, $99, & $115 respectively at marinedepot.com. Get the light kit for it too.

The fuge has a pump that attaches to the intake and sits inside of the tank. The water flows back into the tank way of gravity. You won't be able to light the fuge opposite of the main with this setup, but it's still worth it to add water volume and a place for your pods, macro algae, etc.

See the shot below. The pump will slip right onto the nearest balck tube you see. Then it'll overflow into the main back thru the pipe furthest away in the picture.

This a 25"er. HTH.

Do you have to attach a skimmer to the acutal fuge or does the skimmer remaining on the main display?
What size would you guys recommend for a 46Gal?

Thanks a mil.

Would it be possible jsut to use a 10 gallon tank next to it. I have an extra 10 gallon that I heard you could use, if you set up the water to return to the main tank. If it doesnt make a difference I might use that, if not ill probably just spring for the aquafuge........TIA......

Using a seperate tank refugium is tricky if your main is not a drilled tank. Unless you place the fuge above the main display, you will have to pump water into the fuge and then pump it out, which is a bad idea as matching the flow rates is pretty much impossible.

Using a seperate tank refugium is tricky if your main is not a drilled tank. Unless you place the fuge above the main display, you will have to pump water into the fuge and then pump it out, which is a bad idea as matching the flow rates is pretty much impossible.

I don't know much about SW but I thought that as long as the fuge was below the main display (like a sump) you could use a HOb overflow and let gravity to feed it and then pump the water back up to the main display. Wouldn't that work?

Yep, that would work. As long as one side is gravity fed and the pump flow rate is less than what the gravity flow rate is then you will be fine.

I am looking at the Large AquaFuge 2 Pro for my 75gal tank (using a CS90 overflow to feed it @ 600gph) but hear the skimmer included in it isn't so great. is it possible to replace that skimmer with a better one and still place the skimmer in the sump/refugium?

now from what i have read, you need a pump that will pump out just less than what is being fed into the sump/refugium, so in this case just less than 600gph (is this correct? would a mag drive 5 (500gph) work?). wouldn't the pump mess up/destroy the pods that were grown in the refugium when they are sent back up into the display tank? and how would you prevent the whole thing from overflowing if the power and or pump died?

This thread is wonderful so far. I've been looking to start a Fuge for my 46Gal Bowfront too. So keep talking and I'll keep reading!!

Back
Top Bottom