Want to start adding coral to my setup.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TSkip84

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have had my tank up and running for about five months. Now i want to start adding some coral to my tank. What do i need to do so that my coral will thrive. New to the hobby and any advice is helpful. :thanks:

I have had my tank up and running for about five months. Now i want to start adding some coral to my tank. What do i need to do so that my coral will thrive. New to the hobby and any advice is helpful. :thanks:

Well first things first, what kind of light do you have and what size tank? Lighting is EVERYTHING when it comes to corals.

i just ordered two 120w dimmable led fixtures. They are 3 watt leds with a 1:1 blue:white ratio. My tank is a 55 gal

i just ordered two 120w dimmable led fixtures. They are 3 watt leds with a 1:1 blue:white ratio. My tank is a 55 gal

Thats what I have and its enough light for any coral. I'd start with what I consider the basics which are frogspawn, torch or hammer coral. They're a good first coral as they are hardy and grow quick. With this type of coral you could run your leds at 50%. You could jump into sps coral with those lights but make sure you understand the relationship between Calcium, Alk & Magnesium and have test for each. SPS grow pretty fast and take a lot of those 3 things out of the water to create their skeletons. Any soft stuff like mushrooms or green star polyps will have to go at the bottom of your tank with those LEDs or you could burn them.

Thats just some stuff to consider. Basically though any coral that catches your eye you're set up for so talk to the salesperson at the store or if you see something quickly google it to make sure you konw what you're getting into...

Awesome! Lights should be more than perfect. Other than lighting, just be on top of calcium, magnesium and kh and you'll be all set

Thank you all for the advice. I do have a reef test kit. is there a set parameter for calcium etc. Also i will have pics up soon.

Calcium 380 to 450, alk 8-12 and mag 1280- 1460. Mag I'm not positive on those numbers but in that ball park.cal and alk are used more rapidly by doing your wc you will replenish these. When you get heavier on corals you will have to dose.sometimes you have growth spurts more is used up then but you have plenty of time to research. Check out randy Holmes calcium and alk for great advice.

do you have a skimmer ?
what is your stock some fish eat coral
tell us a little about your tank

I do have a skimmer. In my tank i have 2-fancy snow clownfish, 1-sailfin tang, 1-coral beauty, 2-blue green chromis, 2-peppermint shrimp iphone pics 187.jpg

Are those snowflake clowns (always wanted a pair of them)

I would start with softies like zoas , mushrooms

as for the softies they can get by with just weekly WC

once you get used to keeping them try some

LPS and SPS they require a little more attention almost perfect water conditions and

calcium levels which requires dosing

I try to maintain my calcium around 420

heres a nice site to order from they have some good deals

Frag Packs

just go slow don't over whelm yourself all at once just go slow ask lots of questions and

you should do fine

just do your homework on each type coral you decide on some require more attention than others

Yes they are fancy snowflake clowns i just got them about two weeks ago. they are definiteyl my favorite. And my rbta just hosted them!!!! Thank you for the advice. Im definitely not in a hurry i realize that these tanks take time and if you move to fast things can go south i a hurry!! :thanks:

how does one acclimate corals? obviously the drip method but what about lighting?

yes that is important and

I always start on the bottom and work my way up

everyone does things a little different but I found I had

success so I just do it my way that I'm comfortable with

another thing I do is keep lights off while I add them

and slowly introduce lights so you don't just blast them

with strong light to fast

I have dimmable leds so could i place them where i want them and start with low light and then gradually increase the light every day?

I always try to run very low blues first than gradually increase first day than slowly start adding whites over next few days remember leds are a bit stronger so be careful so they don't bleach out on you

Back
Top Bottom