Want to Start Saltwater.No Clue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishyAddict1999

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Could anybody give me any help on converting a 14 gallon freshwater to a nano reef.I don't know anything about saltwater as I have always kept freshwater.I cannot upgrade to a bigger tank until a while as my parents won't allow me upgrade until I move out and I'm 14.I really like looking at the saltwater fish in the pet store and I really want to create a nano reef.

Check out some of the articles on here on how to set up and maintain a salt tank - I have to say its quite an expensive hobby, so be prepared for that ;) I would also recommend checkin out live aquaria.com for fish selection and compatibility. Unfortunately most of the salt water fish you are looking at may not be suitable to such a small tank so pay attention to the minimum tank size - you also can't stock it like a fresh tank, for a 14g maybe 2 small fish would be about it but you could have some cool inverts! Other things I wish of known before setting up my reef was that you can't use tap water (you'd get away with treated tap for fish only but I believe for a reef it's a must) and you can't always trust your LFS - do plenty of research before buying anything, ask for advice on here and take it slowly ;)

What else could I use instead of a reef could I use a fake reef,is the water used instead of tap water reverse osmosis

I'm not sure what you mean? Fake corals? They tent to look bad and you have to clean them all the time. Real live rock looks more natural and serves as your main filtration so it's a must anyway. Yes, ro or ro-di water is recommended. For such a small tank you could could buy it from your LFS or buy premixed saltwater, that's what I do (my LFS sell it super cheap ;)

I decided I leave saltwater off I was looking at all the prices for to do with saltwater online and I decided to stick with my two goldfish.

Fair enough, it does cost a little more but it's totally worth it. Maybe come back in a few years when your mum lets you have a bigger tank ;)

If you plan to only have fish on saltwater tank, it should not be that expensive. You can start with easy sw fish that are cheap. You also do not need that expensive light either. As long as fish can see what they eat that is good enough. Since it is only a 14 gal tank, you can get ro water from the grocery store at 25 cents per gal. Fish can withstand higher nitrates than corals.

Hey jeffaquarius I might think about having a fish only saltwater tank.Do i still need to water or can I use dechlorinated tap water?also do I need a protein skimmer and sump?What fish could I keep in it?Last question,could I keep clownfish in it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Never use tap water in saltwater tank. You do not need a protein skimmer and sump. A hang on filter and a small circulating pump should be good enough. You have to do partial water change each week and 25 cents per gal at the grocery store is not that expensive.

Edit: If you want clown fish, you should get a 20 gal tank which is the minimum requirement.

My grocery store over here in Ireland does not sell saltwater,so I suppose I'll stick with my two goldfish

I might consider real corals

If you are worried about the price I'd skip sw for now. Go do some research on basic fowlr (fish only with live rock) setup a and see if that is what you want to do. A 14 gallon could have maybe 3 small fish max.

Back
Top Bottom