Wanting Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

popo559

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am pretty new to this saltwater thing. I have had my tank up and running for over three months now. Currently the only livestock in the tank is my clean-up crew and seven damsels. My tank cycled after about 3-4 weeks. Since then I have checked the water every other day and it has been well within the accepted limits. I am wanting to add the following items. Just wanted to get a few opinions on my choices.

1. Perc Clown (got to have nemo)
2. Porc. Puffer
3. Yellow Tang
4. Orange Basslet

I also want to add the dreaded anenome. I would like to start with cheaper ones like a Condi or Pink Hiatian.

Thanks for all your help :roll:

Welcome to AA!!!!!

Now that your tank is cycled you can certainly add some of those fish. My suggestion would be to take the damsels back to the LFS as they will be menaces in the tank after a while.

How big is your tank? The Porc. Puffer will need a minimum of 100 gals to be happy. The yellow tang needs at LEAST 55G. The other two you can get away with in smaller tanks.

Anenomes are very interesting creatures but you need a mature tank (at least 1 yr old) and sufficient lighting for them to survive.

Tell us a little more about your tank and we can help you find some good tankmates!!!

tripper

Great!! A tank that size gives you a ton of options for fish. Are you considering a reef down the road or just FOWLR? The puffer will eat just about any inverts so you need to keep that in mind if you want to go with him. Other than that, your fish list so far looks good. I would suggest getting a pair of percs that are very small so that you can get them to pair up. Very fun to watch.

Are you going to QT your new arrivals? Do you want to keep your damsels or are you ok with taking them back to the LFS?

tripper

The problem with taking the fish back is that I do not have a LFS that is not at least 2 hours away to take them back to. The LFS in my town only sell freshwater and they are very minimal in that. I currently have a clean-up crew of scarlet/blue hermit crabs, turbo snails, and one coral banded shrimp. Should I be concerned with these guys and the puffer?

Unfortunately, yes, the puffer will take out the hermits, snails, and shrimp.

As far as the damsels are concerned, you could always take them back when you go to buy new fish, unless of course you buy your fish online, then I don't know what to say. With that many damsels in the tank already you're going to be a little bit limited in the number of other fish you can get before you max out the bio-load.

Also, do you have a protein skimmer? The porc is a very messy eater and your tank will definitely benefit from a good skimmer.

tripper

Yes, I am runing a protien skimmer. This is my tank set up:

Sealife wet/dry sump
25 watt UV steralizer
Protien Skimmer
(2) powerheads
VHO lighting

So by using the calculator on this web page it says I can add 20?? fish. Of course I know not all at once, but that sounds like alot. Does that sound correct

I agree with Tripper. I'd lose the damsels. Be sure to follow stict QT procedures of any new addition so that you don't introduce ich to your ST. Go slow and add only one fish every six weeks (the QT time). Good luck!

KG

What brand of skimmer? UVs are about worthless - work pretty much only on bacteria suspended in the water column. If you purchased one for parasite control, you'd be better off using strict QT procedures. Returning the sterilizers may be enough to purchase a used 29 for QTing. Good luck!

KG

Back
Top Bottom