Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 12-02-2012, 11:59 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Originally Posted by bald57
when first starting out, does the salt water have to be at a temp of 78, or will it be okay to mix it up, put it in the tank and let the tank heater bring it up to temp
It doesn't have to be 78 when your mixing the saltwater but the warmer it is the easier the salt dissolves. Just make sure the water in the tank gets to the 78 range once you start out.

Jake337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 02:12 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via Skype™ to kdpuffer
Where in Alberta are you? I'm an albertan and will happily help answer questions. If you start with a fowlr tank then any salt mix is good. Once you have a reef you need a better mix. I know big ALS has big buckets of salt on sale right now (in Edmonton anyways). How are you planning to cycle? Do you have live rock yet?

kdpuffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 02:20 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist
I live just half way between lethbridge and calgary. I have been in big al's in calgary and there is a place in lethbridge called tropical fish importers.
I plan on doing fowlr. I haven't done anything at all yet. Just wanting to learn as much as I can and make sure I have all my ducks in a row before I do anything. Being new, I want to take it slow and do it right the first time. My tank is 30 gal with two good hang on filters and a 500w tank heater with the lighting that came with the tank. I have read that they should be ok.
bald57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 03:53 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via Skype™ to kdpuffer
They should be ok, I recommend going onto YouTube and searching for BRStv. They have a very good video set on how to start a salt water tank.
kdpuffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 11:09 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak
Welcome to the addiction Bill. First thing I would do is to replace the 500watt heater with a 100 watt heater. Reason being, if it ever goes bad, which it will eventually, it will fry your fish VERY FAST. A 500 watt heater is a massive overkill for a 30 gallon tank. Generally 2-3 watts per gallon is the recommended size. Some even get 2 heaters (say 2 50 watters) to avoid the possibility of failure even more.

30 gallon is a good size to start. The going saying is "as big a tank as you can afford". Bigger the volume of water, the more room for error and additional stability for the creatures you keep. Stability is important. Salt in a fish only tank is not all that important when it comes to brand. I use Instant Ocean. Works fine. Tap water is "ok" for fish, depending on what you have in it, but it is VERY important to use some sort of dechlorinator like Prime to remove chloramines from it.

The important thing is to go slow. Mix the saltwater to give you a salinity of about 1.025 measured with a hydrometer. The big floating glass hydrometers are good and affordable. The swing arm styles are a bit less accurate and tend to become moreso over time.

Temperature wise 75-79 degrees is where you want to be and I would opt for sand and live rock (or base rock if cost is a factor) over crushed coral or gravel. 1-3 inches of sand on the bottom of the tank is good and if you are not using a protein skimmer, it is important to do bi weekly water changes around 20% of the total volume of the tank. I am a big fan of running carbon in the filter as well.

It is crucial to GO SLOW when it comes to adding fish. The tank needs to cycle in order to establish beneficial bacteria that can process the fish waste into unharmful nitrate from ammonia. Think of the fish as living in a toilet. The cycling process takes about 4-6 weeks. I don't advocate this, but many cycle the tank with A damsel to get the process going. I like to use a decaying frozen shrimp to start it.

A 30 gallon tank can generally hold 3-5 smaller fish. Clownfish, pygmy angels, cardinals, grammas, and damsels are some of the types that work well in a small tank.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

where's me money
Mr. Crabs is offline   Reply With Quote

questions, salt, salt water, water

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com