war on cyano!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pufferman

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey all, i have declared a war on the cyano and diatoms in my tank. I am going to take several measures to attack the cyano. One question, i have soft water, does that have anything to do with it?

1. 10% weekly water changes with R/O water
2. Chemi-Clean
3.Superbuffer DKH
4.Phosphate Sponge

Not sure what effect the soft water will have. To increse your odds I would use RO/DI water, cut back on feedings, do 10-15% PWC every three-four days and run a PO4 sponge. Keep in mind if you are using Chemi-Clean you will need to turn off your skimmer and remove any chemical filtration (GAC and PO4 sponge) during the treatment. I would do things in this order...First, syphon out all of the cyno you can see and do a 20-30% PWC using PO4 free RO/DI water. Next, add the chemi-clean and turn off skimmer/remove chemical filtration. Wait 48hrs. Do another 20% PWC using PO4 free water and begin skimming and chemical filtration again. Smaller water changes every few days until the end of the battle. Good luck.

I am thinking about battling but is Cyano normal during a cycle? If it is i will wait till a bit longer.

My test kit is arriving within a week so i can't get water parameters yet.

i didnt use chemi clean(last minute change, because chemi clean requires me to turn off things extensively), but i used Phosphate sponge by Kent Marine. I placed it in my canister filter. I have just bought some salt, and will be performing those water chanes weekly with the RO water. Ever since i started using the bathtub water to do my Top offs, the cyano took off. :roll:

Back
Top Bottom