Warning Pet Store - boxed SW disaster

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nemesisil

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
bef45f5cfc1d9040b11bf7f33538eac5.jpg

So I got this brand of water from Petco took home and did a water change all my fish died the next day except one damsel. Checked the water....... no salt in it. Took it back to Petco they checked it too same thing. Well the good news they replaced everything bad news I lost some fine fish
5aad4da6863fdcf9b08b046b53cdfb96.jpg

Well that's sad.. sorry to hear. Quality control much?!?!?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Sorry to hear about this disaster :(. Really sucks. Just another reason it is really optimal to make and mix your own water. I've heard horror stories of ppl buying premixed water like this and the salinities just being way off.

Warning Petco saltwater

Good news I was outside watching the game after doing a 100% water change. I left the damsel hiding under the rock looking bad and me feeling for the worst. Went inside knowing I was going to find him dead well I guess her new friend woke her behind up
852e6c5bd49d4bc82a335f8a250003ef.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Wondering if a customer bought it and used it and returned it with plain water??? I have used this water a couple times for my nano tank when I couldn't get to the SW lfs (which is far away drive) and not had an issue.

So sorry about your loss. Glad they stepped up for you to replace things.

Looks like the fish in the pic are happy.

Last edited:
Wondering if a customer bought it and used it and returned it with plain water??? I have used this water a couple times for my nano tank when I couldn't get to the SW lfs (which is far away drive) and not had an issue.

So sorry about your loss. Glad they stepped up for you to replace things.

Looks like the fish in the pic are happy.
I hope that wouldn't have been the case, that's like replacing medication with tic tacs..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Like I said the box was sealed from the factory the perforated cardboard was still in place

not a easy lesson to learn even store bought water should be tested before you use it , you never know if salinity will be high or low or even no . that just as bad as going to the grocery store buying canned corn to get home to find it has green beans ,

The manufacturer really needs to up its game... Either
better tamper-proof packaging, quality control, or both... Sorry you had
to go through this, nice to see Petco making things as right as possible.

A valuable lesson learned here.... test water before you use it. Especially when you don't really know where it's coming from.

Wow, yes a very good point about checking water before using. I guess that is a given, would be the smart thing for a keeper to do, but I didn't ever check mine either.

Good heads up, and as that water should have been from the ocean according to the label, manufacturing error is plausible, like after cleaning the tanks, or whatever way they do it.

I will now always check my purchased water as I should have been doing all along.

Can't trust, better to know :).

IMG_1128.jpg
Well my LFS Coral Reef in Tampa felt bad for me and helped me out with my new Onyx Clowns "Right Eye" and "Pepper"

Back
Top Bottom