Warning to All that Have Powerheads!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RYANLAWRENCE

Aquarium Advice Freak
Last night a minor disaster happened but it could have been a lot worse. I unplugged my powerhead and fed my fish like I always do. I left the room and forgot to plug the powerhead back it. I came back a few hours later and realized I unplugged it. Without thinking, I bent down and plugged the powerhead back in and was greeted by a terrible sound. My diadem dottyback had somehow gotten into the caging of the powerhead! He got spit out and he is ok now, but he is a little cut up. It could have been a lot worse. Just thought I'd let y'all know to check your powerheads before you plug them in!

i just leave my powerheads on when i feed it creates a nice blow around so the clean up crew and inverts can get their share lol

thanks for the warning, glad he's still hanging in there. Thankfully I rarely turn off my PHs.

I never turn my powerhead off either, but it's good to know to check if I ever do. I do shut off my HOB filter when I feed, but nothing is getting in there.

I leave mine on as well, more fun to watch them work for it lol

I hear ya Ryan, that's why I have a a decent CUC in all the tanks. On a side note, although I don't turn mine off, I lost power for a couple hours today due to the storm, thankfully no one got into the PH, my canary blenny did spend a lot of the outtage munching on things in the algae of the PH.

I used to have a cuc but all my snails except like two were eaten by a hitchhiker crab haha. I still need to catch him. I'm glad everything is ok with your tank though power outages always worry me. It's always something that I will check from now on though since my fish almost got turned into minced meat!

the dottyback is looking good still & eating?

Back
Top Bottom