Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-14-2017, 12:45 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

WARNING : wash your hands

So a few people might know I've been crazy sick for the last 2 weeks with little improvement. Well a few days ago after lots of tests they determined what was wrong they think. It was zoas... I never wear gloves and stupidly on my part I rarely wash my hands after working in my tank. I learned my lesson the hard way and I just want to tell everyone to learn from my mistake. I did some pretty serious damage and lost 38lbs in 2 weeks. WASH YOUR HANDS.

Old 02-14-2017, 12:46 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Holy cow!! Glad you're feeling better

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Old 02-15-2017, 03:16 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookster123 View Post
Holy cow!! Glad you're feeling better

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Meep! Will keep that in mind
Old 02-15-2017, 05:03 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

What kind if symptoms did you have ?
Old 02-15-2017, 05:36 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yeah, never heard of that - what is zoas? It doesn't come up in the dictionary. A google search returns some things about corals, but that's the closest I can get to it.
Old 02-15-2017, 06:05 PM   #6
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

zoanthids. A wide swath of polyp coral that produce a toxin. Some is pretty minor where others have been used to kill, on purpose and accidental.
It is something we all should be aware of. I've forgot what was going on after working in my tank and rubbed my eyes before. Pretty irritating to be sure. Thankfully not that bad of a toxin, but allergic reactions to them can also play a part.
Sniperhank is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 06:43 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Aquarium Science: Palytoxin and You: How and Why to Avoid a Deadly Zoanthid Toxin | Details | Articles | TFH Magazine®
coralbandit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 08:45 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dary421 View Post
What kind if symptoms did you have ?
Hahaha what symptoms didn't I have. It started out with a massive headache when I got to work after doing a water change. About an hour into my shift I was vomiting and going to the bathroom every 5 minutes if you know what I mean. After about a day of that the vomiting stopped but the bathroom did not. I went to the doctors and they told me it was the stomach bug. After it continued for awhile and I have peeed in like 5 days I had to go back because they were nervous about my kidneys. They asked questions and I told them im always messing around with corals and the only one I know of that has serious toxins are zoas. They did some blood work to check for toxins as well as salmonella and some other stuff. I don't know that exactly but they told me it was the toxins from the zoas and what happened apparently was the toxins killed all the bacteria in my intestines and colon so I could not digest ANYTHING. But I'm doing much better now and feeling pretty good soooo yay hahaha
Old 02-15-2017, 11:43 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Wow! I'm glad you're feeling better! Thats some scary stuff. I try not to handle my zoas much for that reason when I do have to work in my reef. Paly toxin isn't anything to mess around with.
Old 02-16-2017, 06:41 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUEaquarium06 View Post
Hahaha what symptoms didn't I have. It started out with a massive headache when I got to work after doing a water change. About an hour into my shift I was vomiting and going to the bathroom every 5 minutes if you know what I mean. After about a day of that the vomiting stopped but the bathroom did not. I went to the doctors and they told me it was the stomach bug. After it continued for awhile and I have peeed in like 5 days I had to go back because they were nervous about my kidneys. They asked questions and I told them im always messing around with corals and the only one I know of that has serious toxins are zoas. They did some blood work to check for toxins as well as salmonella and some other stuff. I don't know that exactly but they told me it was the toxins from the zoas and what happened apparently was the toxins killed all the bacteria in my intestines and colon so I could not digest ANYTHING. But I'm doing much better now and feeling pretty good soooo yay hahaha
whoa!!! sounds rather nasty,...i wore rubber gloves the last time i was playing with the zoas, sounds like a good practice to keep up id say ,...glad youre on the mend

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com