Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-01-2004, 02:02 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Was I duped??

I have purchsased the 3535 Surface suction extractor to go with my Eheim 2215 filter. It is supposed to skim protein off the top of the water. I have assembled it per the instructions and it doesn't appear to be doing anything. I have been using it for about a week now and I don't see water flowing through it. How can I be sure I have assembled it correctly and that my unit is functioning correctly?

Any advice is helpful.

75 gal SW tank, Eheim 2215 Filter, 45lb Figi Premium LR, 2 Maxi-Jet Powerhead/Pump Model 900

5 Dwarf Red Tip Hermit Crabs, 5 Dwarf Blue Leg Hermit Crabs, 3 Emerald Mithrax Crabs, 1 Cleaner Shrimp, 1 Fire Shrimp, 10 Cerith Snails, 10 Nassarius Snails, 6 Bumble Bee Snails, 16 Turbo Snails, 1 Brittle Sea Star

Yellow-tailed Blue Damsel, Foxface Lo, Coral Beauty Angelfish, Sailfin Tang, Scooter Blenny
AirRazr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2004, 03:56 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I thought those were for freshwater tanks...like to help skim leaves off the water surface.

a saltwater protein skimmer uses a collection cup...I googled your 3535 Surface suction extractor, and it doesn't look like a protein skimmer...just a tube that catches plant leaves and other floating surface debris..and might remove that later of film a freshwater tank sometimes builds up.

for actual protein skimming...I think it's useless. a real protien skimmer uses foam fractionation to ionicly bond DOC's to the micro bubbles in the skimmer. THe DOC's are both attracted to, and repelled by water (sort of like a magnet with polar ends). The surface of an air bubble satisfies both needs, and thus the DOC's latch on to the bubbles, which rise and burst in the collection cup, trapping the DOC's for removal.

The more contact time with the bubble in the chamber, the better the skimmer. The smaller the bubbles...the more bubble surface area...thus...the better the skimmer.

That extractor will keep your water clearer though as it'll collect the larger particle debris.

Old 10-01-2004, 05:18 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

They guy at the fish store I bought it from knew I have a SW tank. If you put your hand in the water by the Intake that came with the filter, you can feel the water being sucked into it. If you put your hand by the intake on the extractor, you don't feel anything.

Open up the cabinet under my tank and you see the canister filter, one line coming in and the other going out. I had to buy a "T" connector for the return line and hook up the extractor that way. As I said I have it connected just like the instructions show, well from the limited pictures they show. The instructions aren't the best. So anyway, the return line is split into 2 where both the extractor and the intake are supposed to be pulling water into the filter.

I just don't get it.

75 gal SW tank, Eheim 2215 Filter, 45lb Figi Premium LR, 2 Maxi-Jet Powerhead/Pump Model 900

5 Dwarf Red Tip Hermit Crabs, 5 Dwarf Blue Leg Hermit Crabs, 3 Emerald Mithrax Crabs, 1 Cleaner Shrimp, 1 Fire Shrimp, 10 Cerith Snails, 10 Nassarius Snails, 6 Bumble Bee Snails, 16 Turbo Snails, 1 Brittle Sea Star

Yellow-tailed Blue Damsel, Foxface Lo, Coral Beauty Angelfish, Sailfin Tang, Scooter Blenny
AirRazr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2004, 07:01 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Just because he knew you had a SW tank, doesn't mean he didn't sell you the wrong thing, just to make a sale.
Old 10-01-2004, 09:20 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Try to take it back...and always research any equipment you put in your tank before you buy.
46g SW, 65 lbs Fiji LR, 4" Aragamax DSB, Coralife 2X96w CF, CPR Bakpak II, CPR Aquafuge 12 w/ 2x9 Coralife Mini Aqualight, 4 Maxijet 600's, PCI 200W Titanium Heater, 2 Blue Green Chromis, 1 Gold Bar Maroon Clown, 1 Purple-Stripe Dottyback, Finger Leather, Trumpets, Rose Coral Open-Brain, Pagoda Cup, Xenia, Star Polyps, Yellow Polyps, Various Mushrooms, Toadstool Leather, 12 Astraea, 10 Nassarius, 4 Bumble Bee, 6 Cerith Snails, 12 Red Tip Hermits.
phases99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2004, 02:20 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

I agree with Malkore on this.... Tank it back..... never seen that thing on a SW tank before and never heard of it.... I would say the LFS sold you something you don't need..... You need a protein skimmer....
superskimmer.com to get an idea...

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com