Washed up rock on the beach

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

patrickriley2010

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm at the beach and there are alot of sea rocks washing up. I want to start a saltwater tank soon and was wondering if they would work?

There is usually a lot of laws concerning taking live rock from the ocean. I might look at those before you take any.

Whereever you are out call their wild life number or whoever takes care of that dept. Then call again & asked the question with someone else. Here in Florida they changed the laws so fast that you can be hit with a fine. We need a saltwater fishing lic. to begin. Can only take 5 polyps of each and no stony/hard corals. ect... I know this doesnt anwered your question but best to call and get the right answer from the state you are in & the right dept.

If its washed up on the beach I bring it home. Key word washed up. Like was stated laws in Fl change so much people take home shells,driftwood and whatever else they find. I see a nice rock I take it home.

But the question may have been from something other than a "legal" perspective...

The rock will certainly work in your tank... but if it goes in "as-is" you will likely bring in a lot of unknown "critters" and such to your tank. Some may be good, others bad.

If you plan on just bagging it and transporting it any significant distance (like a multi-day trip)... it's gonna stink when you get home, it's gonna be full of dead and dying algae and bacteria, and you'll probably want to boil and clean it before you used it in a tank... due to the time and effort involved in that, it'd probably be much easier just to have BRS deliver "new" dry rock to your doorstep. :)
...(and then seed the system, if you desire, with one or two pieces of cultured LR from your LFS.)

I would agree, all though rubble piles are where most live rock that isn't cultured comes from. By the time it gets to the beach, it may have contaminates you don't want. But if its a cool rock, sterilize it, scrub it and then use it after it is clean.

Last edited:
If its washed up on the beach I bring it home. Key word washed up. Like was stated laws in Fl change so much people take home shells,driftwood and whatever else they find. I see a nice rock I take it home.

LoL gotta love this place. One thing I really wish I could do is take home some sand from Anna Marie Island!!! That stuff is beautiful

Ya I mean if I don't take it it will provably end up underneath the sand.

Also the beach is filled with all kinds of corals and stuff I picked up what someone said was like a sea pork or something it was disgusting but it looked like it was alive so I took it out as far as I could and tossed it back in. My fingers were sinking into it, it was so nasty.

And there are alot of this I presume dead corals ?

aMBr0gT.jpg

Lots if little rock I picked up some I already took it without looking or asking it was only about 5 pounds worth .

And I found a huge Rock 10x the size of this one just washed up on the beach and there is a little dead coral or something

p9a11hD.jpg

Back
Top Bottom