Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-24-2004, 06:39 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

washing sand

when washing new sand for a startup, is it ok to use tapwater?

Old 08-24-2004, 07:16 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

yes

Old 08-24-2004, 07:45 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Why wash the sand? I don't I want to keep all sizes of the sand, even the silt. If your worried about the cloud you can keep it down by either putting the sand in first and putting a plate in the bottom of the tank to pump you water in, or if the water is already in then you can put it in a "tupperware" boel take it to the bottom and open it and let the sand loose, you will have a cloud but not as bad as if you just dump it in.

Vote for AquariumAdvice
dralarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 08:13 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I wouldn't wash it either unless it quite obviously needs it. If you don't have RO then atleast add some dechlorinator to the tap water first. A lot of it will get trapped in the sand so it's best to be safe.

Click HERE to vote for Aquarium Advice!
Atari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 08:19 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

One of the sources I read recommended that I washed non-living sand prior to adding it to the tank. You guys are probably right, it's probably just to prevent heavy clouds from forming.
Old 08-24-2004, 08:32 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Take a look at my gallery, my 46 bow front has been set back up since Sunday. I put the sand in, placed a plate in the tank and used a powerhead pump to pump the water right on to the plate. I had a bigger cloud from adding ym salt. , I let it run for a day and placed filters in the hob's and in an hour the rest of the cloud was gone.

Vote for AquariumAdvice
Old 08-24-2004, 11:56 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

The worst is when you realize after you addeed the water that you want another 50lbs. What a mess that was, it took almost 3 days to clear.
46g SW, 65 lbs Fiji LR, 4" Aragamax DSB, Coralife 2X96w CF, CPR Bakpak II, CPR Aquafuge 12 w/ 2x9 Coralife Mini Aqualight, 4 Maxijet 600's, PCI 200W Titanium Heater, 2 Blue Green Chromis, 1 Gold Bar Maroon Clown, 1 Purple-Stripe Dottyback, Finger Leather, Trumpets, Rose Coral Open-Brain, Pagoda Cup, Xenia, Star Polyps, Yellow Polyps, Various Mushrooms, Toadstool Leather, 12 Astraea, 10 Nassarius, 4 Bumble Bee, 6 Cerith Snails, 12 Red Tip Hermits.
phases99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 08:29 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
The worst is when you realize after you addeed the water that you want another 50lbs. What a mess that was, it took almost 3 days to clear.

Yes, that is a mess. Here is a solution, cut the end of the bag off, submerge the whole bag and ease it out of the bag on to the surface. You will still get a cloud but it should minimize it. Also turn off the powerheads and hob's for a little while to allow the sand to settle a little, if not it will just stay in the water colum and get into your filters & stuff.

Vote for AquariumAdvice

Tags
sand

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com