Watchman Goby

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Diesel84

Aquarium Advice Activist
My diamond Is M.I.A for 2 days now.... should I be worried?

Update... I found him. Apparently they jump? He was behind my tank on the floor, gone.

Sorry to hear that. :-( I found my tilefish behind my tank just a little while ago. Poor fishies

My firefish has thankfully never jumped even though he is in an open top tank. Gobies tend to jump alot, even blennys I've found are jumpers.

I have egg crate for a top, must have gotten through a square or by my filter cut out

Yeah, I had the same story. I had glass covers and a huge piece of acrylic but he still found the tiniest hole to jump through. It's like threading a needle, can't believe they find a way out.

My yellow watchman goby jumped out too. He went into the overflow box and down into the sump where he got caught up in the blue filter and died. I bought another one today and bought some egg crate for the top of the tank. After reading your posts I'm afraid the new goby is gonna do the same thing!

You can use screen tops (instead of egg crate), and make the cuts tight around any overflow boxes, etc to minimize the jumping. (Thankfully my SW fish stay put, but the rainbows in my FW tank are another story...they jump like friggin' dolphins)

Diamond gobies are the worst for jumping out. I had glass tops with acrylic and he jump out of the holes for my plumbing. Those holes were almost snug also. Crazy that he jumped out. Now I have a canopy, don't think he can jump out now.

Lots of fish will jump if the conditions warrant it. And they are incredible shots, getting thru tiny openings. You have to have a pretty fine mesh top to get both air exchange and to catch flying fish.

My b/f keeps saying we are going to set up a circus net around the tank as we keep getting jumpers. lol

I'd put up a big rubber sheet that's pulled really tight...that way they just bounce right off and back into the tank :) Put a bullseye on it to give them something to aim for :)

Back
Top Bottom