Watchman Goby

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ziggy953

Aquarium Advice Addict
Someone talk to me about the watchman goby...I almost picked one up today at the lfs today.....but I don't know much about them....Thanks

I had two orange watchman gobies that were excellent carpet surfers. If I were you I would maybe suggest the bullet goby. Never had mine jump yet after 6 yrs. Are you looking for sifters or for looks. The best sifter in the bussiness is the bullet goby. I also have a pink spotted watchman that is very impressionable. Always near the camera. He is not much of a sifter but he does do some. LA classifies him as a shrimp goby. Here is some info on both also.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=221

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=206&N=0

http://www.fantasyreef.com/database/index.php?p=getitem&db_id=7&item_id=168

http://www.fantasyreef.com/database/index.php?p=getitem&db_id=7&item_id=164

Here are mine.

Attachments

• 000_0252_203.jpg
    000_0252_203.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 28
  • 100_0173_143.jpg
    100_0173_143.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 27
It was the pink spotted that I looked at today. I really like the fish....I'll have to think about it though..I'm getting ready to set up a new 75...can't believe the wife agreed to it....

This will be my second large SW tank....I have a 72g reef now...I found this 75 for such a good deal on craigslist that I just couldn't pass it up....this one is going in the wall...and I will be taking pics through the process........

I will do that..I'll start a thread in the DIY section I guess...I'll let everyone know when the project gets off the ground......

Watchman gobies are hardy fish that have lots of personality but like was mentioned earlier they are expert carpet surfers. Making sure that your tank is not totally dark at night can help prevent that.

They are one of several species that will pair up w/ a pistol shrimp. If that's what you're after, do the research first as you may not find them to be the most attractive of the gobies available for this relationship.

Also - many of thest types of gobies don't like to have other (similar gobies) around.

Ziggy953 said:
It was the pink spotted that I looked at today. I really like the fish....I'll have to think about it though

He would be an excellent addition. Never have to worry about him hiding from the camera.

Shrimp gobies are awesome! I have a yellow watchman goby and love it. Full of personality. Of course, the shrimp goby/pistol shrimp symbiotic relationship is amazing as well. I would strogly recommend picking up a pistol shrimp as well. I have had my goby in a topless tank for almost four years with escape attempts. Infact, he hangs out on the bottom on in his den with the shrimp pretty much all of the time.

I have a yellow watchman about 6 yrs old. Pretty much always in sight since his cave is almost in the dead center and front of my tank. He never tried to jump. Always stays low. I also have a pistol shimp which I got close to a year ago. I just saw the other day for the first time they were hanging out together. Seems like the shrimp likes to move around thru his tunnels and the goby stays home. They aren't together all the time, but I guess they just started dating...hehehe
Real cool to watch.

The near-blind shrimp relies on the goby for protection. In return, the shrimp digs out the den and allows the goby to co-habbitate. If you ever notice the pisotl out of the hole, note the goby's placement and how the pistol shrimp always has one antena on the goby at all times. If the shrimp can not feel the goby anymore it shoots back into the den like a lightning bolt. Very cool relationship to watch.

I've had an interest in watchman gobies for a long time. I might just have to pick one up.

yeah I think I will have to add one to the tank.....they seem to be really interesting fish...Thanks for the input everyone!!!! I appreciate it!

Well I couldn't stand it any longer...so I got the watchman (the pink spotted) he is in QT and should be ready for adding in about 4 weeks....I'm excited!! Awesome little fish...

Nice, congrats! That isn't the tank with ich right? Aren't you glad you didn't plumb the two together...?

Back
Top Bottom