watchman goby gone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

biss444

Aquarium Advice Activist
bought a watchman goby, put him in tank, one of my three striped damsels started chacing him, shut lights off, in the morning, gone, i know they are jumpers, so i looked , nothing , checked over flow, nothing, been checking all around in my tank in the day and night, no sign, i have a 200 gallon tank with 250 of live rock, thought he was hiding, have my doughts now, must have died all i can think of, have all reef safe fish , nothing overly aggressive, :nono:

I would guess that either he is hiding, or dead. And if he is dead, you'll likely never find the body. And as for "nothing overly aggressive", you have damsels. Notorious bullies.

Though in a 200 gal the possibility is that he is hiding. You might be cleaning the tank some day after thinking he is long gone and spook him out. That is def not unheard of. Especially if the damsels were bullying him upon arrival, he would have jet under a rock as soon as he could.

What you can do in the future when making additions is put a small divider in or even attempt to net the damsels to prevent them from bullying your new fish when you add them to the tank. This will give them the chance to find a hiding spot before getting chased around. Have seen this be helpful with those who have damsels in their tanks.

well i have solved the problem of the missing goby, i decided to buy another one through the mail, along with a pistel shrimp, received the new goby, put him in tank , watched him closely to see what he would do, if he got chased, one of my damsels showed a little interest in him but soon left him alone. so i decided to go to the other side of the tank to grab my coffee, and what do i see, yup a goby, went back to the other side to make sure it wasn;t the same one , the new one still there, couldn;t believe it , i think the missing one had a smile on his face and was laughing at me, lmao

That is amazing! Lol.

On a side note, what type of lighting do you have on your 200?

Likely the watchman is just hiding. With that much live rock hiding spaces are endless. If he is alive you will probably see him or signs of him in next few weeks as he becomes more comfortable. Also def look for him at night.

Likely the watchman is just hiding. With that much live rock hiding spaces are endless. If he is alive you will probably see him or signs of him in next few weeks as he becomes more comfortable. Also def look for him at night.

Read 4 posts above you! Goby had been found yesterday! lol

sally pu said:
Read 4 posts above you! Goby had been found yesterday! lol

Lol awesome! Im not sure how i missed that but anyways glad hes been found, and alive!

Happy to hear you found him! My yellow watchman hid in a hole in my live rock (on the sand bed) for almost a week. Now he is always out

image-1104773345.jpg

It is possible that the burrow the goby created was unstable and crushed or trapped him.

I highly fought he's. Crushed I burry my usuwslly every time I move my rock around they will come out some times the shrimp and hobby stay user for weeks

i bought my leds on e-bay, they are gu10 3 watts each. i love them. i paid about 4 to 4,50.each, hard to beat that price, only thing is they come from china, takes about a month to receive them.i bought more , should be in any day these are nine watts a piece.

actually i came up with my own plan. have it hanging from ceiling with chains, so it won't be in the way when i need to get at the tank

i have four rows wired independently . just for more options, setting up a fifth row of lights

Back
Top Bottom