Watchman goby+Pistol Shrimp=Disaster?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

obscurereef

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was thinking about getting some type of watchman goby and pistol shrimp (maybe a yellow watchman and a candy pistol), but I've read that the YWG can harass/kill other gobies, or snails that come by their cave.

Also read how aggressive the pistol is, eating small snails, or whatever happens to fall in it's cave (have lots of dwarf ceriths I think it would eat), nips, moves, and annoys corals, and wouldn't stirring up the sand release silicates and cause diatoms?

I've read lots of negatives and want to know people's experiences/thoughts, if they ever had a problem with the pair or the fish or shrimp individually. Can't decide if I want to possibly put any fish/inverts/corals at risk or have this amazing the symbiotic relationship. Any input would be very helpful and appreciated! :confused:

My pistol has definitely eaten some of my cerith snails- I've seen their shells being used in his walls for support. We have personally seen him try to pull snails into his burrows as they "walk(?)" by. Luckily, we have been there to pull a few of them back out because their shells were too big to fit into the burrow. The pistol is opportunistic, like anything living in the wild. I put food down the burrow every day, but he still does these things. The YWG has been fine, no aggression at all from him towards anything-i really like him. I really like my pistol too, but, honestly, I would have to think long and hard before getting another one when this one dies. Also, my pistol "shot" one of my fish in the face and killed it shortly after I got it, the fish's face was grey and burned and his body was hanging out of the burrow hole(not sure it if was pulled in there or what exactly happened, but was definitely shot). He hasn't killed any other fish since then, though.
Also, because the shrimp is there, my YWG never comes out to swim around. He comes to the opening and stays there, but never swims around. And there are days at a time when I don't see him at all. It is cool to watch the pistol dig and build, though. Like most things in life, there's good and bad parts of it.

I could handle the eating of the snails, and trying to get a snail in his burrow that wouldn't fit was kind of funny yet sad in a way, but I think injury he gave to the fish is a deal breaker. What kind of pistol shrimp is it? I suppose their all about the same level of "aggression" like one isn't more peaceful than another. Def. there are pros and cons for everything, but wanted to see what outweighed one another IMO. Thank you so much for sharing your experience :).

I have a tiger pistol, which is a little bigger than the candy cane pistol, but they both have that pistol, which will kill/stun fish- that's the whole point of it.

Yeah, I thought so. Think I might consider it in the future, but not anytime soon. One last question. Do you or anyone else know much about/have experience w/ a Yasha White Ray shrimp goby? Pretty expensive fish and they are small too, so I hope they wouldn't get lost or picked on in my 70. Thanks for the help so far.

I have a Yashia Goby, Tangoran Goby, & Hi-Fin Red Banded Goby in my 125 gal with 2 or 3 pistols. My HF goby was added with a candy cane pistol when I first setup tank and they are very peaceful/shy and I never had the pistol go after anything. I added the Tangoran with another candy cane and never saw that pistol again. It was super small and I don't know if it died, got killed, eaten, or still alive, but the Tangoran is out all the time and doesn't hide under rocks. It stays put even with my other fish around such as Tang, Anthias, Flame Angel, etc. Then I added a Yashia goby which I didn't see for more than a week. He hides most of the time in the back of the tank under rocks. Sometimes don't see him for days. Added a bullseye pistol and that one "clicks" quite often. Got nervous might be mantis cuz it will go multiple times in a row. That one might be paired with the Yashia but hard to tell. Think that moves around a bit. Tried adding a Tiger Pistol Shrimp once and several hours later (after it was out eating at feeding time too) found it almost dead pulled against a rock & I I believe it came across the Bullseye in a burrow and he wacked it. It was twitching but about dead and had no marks on it. Also, I never direct feed any of them (I feed the tank a lot tho) and never had any of the pistols or gobies bother any snails, crabs, or other shrimps. Sorry for the long winded reply:)

No loving the details! That alters my opinion slightly. Like to see different experiences. I also like the HF goby. I'll see what happens. Was thinking of getting a diamond WG, but if I put a pistol shrimp in there it would most likely pair up and stop cleaning the sand. I'll do more research and make my final decision in a couple weeks or so. Thanks for sharing also!

obscurereef said:
I was thinking about getting some type of watchman goby and pistol shrimp (maybe a yellow watchman and a candy pistol), but I've read that the YWG can harass/kill other gobies, or snails that come by their cave.

Also read how aggressive the pistol is, eating small snails, or whatever happens to fall in it's cave (have lots of dwarf ceriths I think it would eat), nips, moves, and annoys corals, and wouldn't stirring up the sand release silicates and cause diatoms?

I've read lots of negatives and want to know people's experiences/thoughts, if they ever had a problem with the pair or the fish or shrimp individually. Can't decide if I want to possibly put any fish/inverts/corals at risk or have this amazing the symbiotic relationship. Any input would be very helpful and appreciated! :confused:

I have a yellow pistol shrimp and yellow watchman gobie and have never in 3 years seen any aggression whatsoever they live very peacefully

I also have an Orangespot Diamond Goby and it never stops cleaning but I don't believe they pair up with pistols.

I have a yellow pistol shrimp and yellow watchman gobie and have never in 3 years seen any aggression whatsoever they live very peacefully

What size tank do you have and are your fish/inverts aggressive/peaceful? Thank you for letting me know about your pair :)

I also have an Orangespot Diamond Goby and it never stops cleaning but I don't believe they pair up with pistols.

Hmm didn't know. Thought since they were a watchman goby, it was fair game, but there are other gobies that aren't watchman gobies that will pair up with the pistol shrimp.

obscurereef said:
What size tank do you have and are your fish/inverts aggressive/peaceful? Thank you for letting me know about your pair :)

55g i have linkia starfish ,serpent star ,2 chromis, clown ,pajama cardinal ,camal shrimp and the gobie and shrimp pairi do hear the pistol " clicking " now and again my clown hosts a clam near one if its openings ( it has tunnels and openings in various places throughout my tank never seen any aggression toward anything i have seen it grab a snail before but it didn do so to eat it it grabs anything it can to help build its tunnels and openings including small rocks small pieces of fallin coral anything nearby

Back
Top Bottom