WATER...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

socalarsen

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
TANK HAS BEEN RUNNING FOR ABOUT TWO WEEKS NOW, PUT LIVE ROCK AND LIVE SAND IN RIGHT AWAY (LR WAS CURED), ALL READINGS HAVE BEEN NORMAL SINCE DAY ONE (AMMONIA,0,NITRITE,0,NITRATE,12.5,PH,8,SALINITY,1.024) SHOULD I DO A PARTIAL WATER CHANGE BEFORE I PUT IN SOME CLEANER BUDDIES? SNAILS, HERMITS, ETC...ALSO THE WATER AT THE TOP HAS A WIERD ALMOST LIKE OILY LOOK TO IT ONCE IT IS COMING AWAY FROM THE MOVEMENT OF THE RIO PUMP THAT DISRUPTS THE TOP OF THE WATER...PLEAE HELP NEWBIE, THANKS!

Yes I would do a PWC but I would skim that stuff off the top with a paper cup first then siphon the rest out. To prevent that on the top you`ll need to point some PH`s to the top and aggitate the surface. You probably wont stop all of it but scooping it out with a paper or plastic cup during PWC`s will do the job. By the way Using all capital letters is a form of Yelling or shouting. :wink:

WELCOME TO AA!!

I agree, try pointing a ph at the surface, this gets rid of the oily substance.
What are your plans for the tank?

lol im sorry bout that, didnt notice they were locked, oops! so i should do like a 20% pwc and then check levels and then introduce some cleaners for my recent algae bloom??? thanks!

Yes, that will work. Remember your inverts should be drip acclimated for at least 2 hours, since they are less tolerant of fluctations in water chemistry. That recent algae bloom is most likely a diatom bloom, totally natural.
What are you planning for your clean up crew?

my plans for the tank are to have a small tang a clown, and possibly a gobby, but obviously thats not for a while. i first want to get some cleaners in, let them munch on the algae and then start adding some bta possibly once the tank has maintained a bit longer

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but the tang will not make it in a 29 gallon tank. Most of them need a 100 + gallon tank. There are a few that will be OK in at least a 75 gallon tank. There is no tang that will be OK in a 29 gallon tank. If you have your heart set on a tang then maybe an upgrade is in your future. LOL

If your tank info is correct as listed and it is a 29 gallon tank, you need to rethink your fish choices. There is no tang suitable for a tank that size.

I would start off with 5-15 snails, maybe a hermit or two. Keep in mind the crabs can become aggressive as they get bigger.

The new drs. f/s catolog has a power filter they made that siphons water from lower, middle of tank but also has a built in floating surface skimmer!!!! Sweet. I'm definitly buying one of those.

Back
Top Bottom