Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 01-01-2013, 12:57 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Piercy87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 87
Water balance.

I just done a water test to find why the ph keeps dropping off slightly. I done a 25% water change yesterday as I do every week. I tested the ph just before and it was low at 7.8/8. After the water change it was at 8.2/8.3. I tested it again today to find it was back to 8. So I tested everything and here's the results: kh 12.5 not really sure why its high. Ca 470. Mg 1470 phosphate 0.03 nitrate between 0/5 closer to the 5ppm. I don't really want to add any buffer as the kh is already high. I'm still fairly new to this and from what I gather there isn't much can do to lower the kh except do a water change. Not to sure about the ph. The tank is a reef tank and everything seems happy and growing at a considerable rate. It's only 20 gallon.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1951072875.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	174.8 KB
ID:	140970
__________________

__________________
Piercy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 01:01 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Piercy87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piercy87 View Post
I just done a water test to find why the ph keeps dropping off slightly. I done a 25% water change yesterday as I do every week. I tested the ph just before and it was low at 7.8/8. After the water change it was at 8.2/8.3. I tested it again today to find it was back to 8. So I tested everything and here's the results: kh 12.5 not really sure why its high. Ca 470. Mg 1470 phosphate 0.03 nitrate between 0/5 closer to the 5ppm. I don't really want to add any buffer as the kh is already high. I'm still fairly new to this and from what I gather there isn't much can do to lower the kh except do a water change. Not to sure about the ph. The tank is a reef tank and everything seems happy and growing at a considerable rate. It's only 20 gallon.
Here's a more recent pic. Also I don't have a protein skimmer I just have active carbon. Bio balls ceramic rings and ceramic rock. A sponge and purigen.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1190189917.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	157.3 KB
ID:	140972
__________________

__________________
Piercy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:24 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
erichm20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Jensen Beach, FL
Posts: 651
Strange that the ph drops that quickly... Your tank looks good though. Do you add anything or have you done anything differently recently?
__________________
erichm20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:02 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Piercy87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by erichm20 View Post
Strange that the ph drops that quickly... Your tank looks good though. Do you add anything or have you done anything differently recently?
when i saw the ph was low i did panic and put in a teaspoon of sachem ph buffer. I'm ring to do another test again today to see if anything has changed and if not ill do another water change maybe its co2 build up or something.
__________________
Piercy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:20 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
erichm20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Jensen Beach, FL
Posts: 651
Yea most buffers are designed to allow the ph to be risen safely while not affecting alkalinity. How they can claim this is beyond me since carbonate hardness is a function of PH level and stability so hmmm?

I try to add marine buffer for ph weekly. I also dose a little mag, cal, and alk (the next day to avoid precipitation) but I add 1/3 recommended dose. Along with a 5-10% PWC every 7-10 days.

What test kit do you use? I would bring a test into your lfs just to be on the safe side. I have read that a swing in ph by even .2 can be very stressful or even fatal to fish. Have you noticed a change in behavior from the inhabitants?
__________________
erichm20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:40 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Schism's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Lima, Ohio
Posts: 2,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piercy87 View Post
I just done a water test to find why the ph keeps dropping off slightly. I done a 25% water change yesterday as I do every week. I tested the ph just before and it was low at 7.8/8. After the water change it was at 8.2/8.3. I tested it again today to find it was back to 8. So I tested everything and here's the results: kh 12.5 not really sure why its high. Ca 470. Mg 1470 phosphate 0.03 nitrate between 0/5 closer to the 5ppm. I don't really want to add any buffer as the kh is already high. I'm still fairly new to this and from what I gather there isn't much can do to lower the kh except do a water change. Not to sure about the ph. The tank is a reef tank and everything seems happy and growing at a considerable rate. It's only 20 gallon.
Well your a bit over concerned actually. A ph of 8.0 is perfectly acceptable, as is a kh of 12.5. These numbers are within ranges, the key is stability. The best thing you can do for your ph is to open a house window by the tank for a good 30-60 minutes. CO2 buildup in the home (especially during the winter months) will depress pH. Also surface agitation will further enable gas exchange.
__________________
29g Mixed Reef, 150w 14k Phoenix MH w/ Moonlights, Reef Octopus BH1000 HOB Skimmer, Ecotech Vortech MP10es, ReefKeeper Lite (Plus), PH Probe, Temp Probe, ATO, Carbon/GFO Reactor.
Schism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 04:08 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
danbstrong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schism View Post

Well your a bit over concerned actually. A ph of 8.0 is perfectly acceptable, as is a kh of 12.5. These numbers are within ranges, the key is stability. The best thing you can do for your ph is to open a house window by the tank for a good 30-60 minutes. CO2 buildup in the home (especially during the winter months) will depress pH. Also surface agitation will further enable gas exchange.
Agreeing those are acceptable params mine are as follows on consistant basis ph 7.9 alk 12 cal 420 mag 1350 nitrate and phosphate undetectable
__________________

__________________
danbstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
bala

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:12 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.