Water change

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No, the bacteria is in the sand and rock, not the water. But you can shock fish and corals with that large of a water change, say if there is a temp difference or salt level difference. Why do you want to do such a large one?

No, the bacteria is in the sand and rock, not the water. But you can shock fish and corals with that large of a water change, say if there is a temp difference or salt level difference. Why do you want to do such a large one?

I had to move the tank 4 hours and could only move 50% of the water, the fish are currently in a 10 gallon holding tank till the 80 gallon tank is ready to go. Fish are doing great. The sand though was moved a lot. Will this not hurt anything? And air pockets in the sand be releasing anything bad? How long should I hold the fish in the 10 gallon for?

The sand is questionable. When I moved a 120 gal tank, I bought new sand. But you can rinse your sand a hundred times until it runs clear, then use it. And 50% new water is fine, just acclimate your fish like they are new. They only have to be in there until you have it up and rolling again.

Here is what happened to the sand I moved and why I got all new. See all the black, that is all dead stuff ready to release toxins into the tank.

Attachments

• image-4199063975.jpg
    image-4199063975.jpg
    187.2 KB · Views: 104
Here is what happened to the sand I moved and why I got all new. See all the black, that is all dead stuff ready to release toxins into the tank.

Yikes, well I hope for the best in my sand, so far it just looks like it did back home. Hope It stays that way

I have a deep sand bed in my reef that has taken over a year to mature nicely to the point I can see nitrogen bubbles rise when I gently, GENNTLY move the sand. This is a sign that complete nitrification and denitrification is happening, A Good Thing. What you see, the black is an indication of hydrogen sulfide, a bad thing. Hang in there if you're doing a deep sand be. It'll get there but personally I only do 25 % water changes and bi-weekly to monthly depending on my nitrate test results. I don't panic if I see higher readings, as high as 40-80 ppm. This would trigger a 25 % water change for me... The results are pictured here...

img_2510713_0_7faf7ebb3f16d9ec237408556b852157.jpg

img_2510713_1_ea9e06a906e2ce577c7cb7dbf0390de6.jpg

img_2510713_2_d1110ad8b0dc1aaae67fd3d90e231f60.jpg

Back
Top Bottom