Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 10-05-2004, 10:01 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Water change and stress

I just bought a 130G FOWLR that has been setup for several years, it has been up and running in my house for only several days. We saved almost all the water during the move. I know the fish are stressed but would like to do a 40-50% water change pretty soon. Is this too much for the fish right now? All the water parameters are good (dont have chart at work for specifics) but the water has not been changed for about a month. Instead of doing the typical 20% change I thought I would make my first a pretty decent size change. Any and all thoughts would be great.

96p993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 06:29 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Send a message via Yahoo to Fishboy-from-NY
Hey as long aas your Ammonia, Nitrite are at 0 and your Nitrates are no higher than 10PPM, I would not do a water change since it would stress the fish, I would just replenish the tace elements and if you have live rock, check you phophates and make sure you have the right amount of calcium in your tank.

Fishboy-from-NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 07:31 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
I would not do a change that big unless you really needed to. why do u want to do one that big? And when you do one make sure the water is up to temp and the SG is the same. save those big WC for when you really need them, they are not fun..
9/02-125 REEF, 125 lbs LR,LS 4x160 VHO, Reef Devil /Sump, Fuge
7/03-55 FOWLR 60lb LR, 50 lb SD sand 2x40 NO strip light, Reef Devil/sump, Fuge

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 07:54 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
I would go ahead and do the water change....with moving the tank and stirring things up, I am sure nasties have managed to surface. If you keep it to a manageable amount like 20% and make sure the water is the same temp and salinity and you arent making huge sunami's in the tank, the stress to the fish should be minimal. Then do another 20 in 2 weeks time. That should nicely freshen up the water for them.
Hara is offline   Reply With Quote

change, stress, water change

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com