Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-02-2006, 10:20 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via ICQ to Vanphyre Send a message via AIM to Vanphyre
Water Change Ease, Can't have permanent container

Would like to run this idea by you guys. I don't have room to have a large container of salt-water for changes kept up and running and hate lugging buckets back and forth now. Would this work?

Equipment:
- 5 gallon bucket
- Heater
- Maxi-Jet 1200 pump
- 1/2 ID 10 foot tubing.

Procedure:

1) Mix salt with my RO/DI water in bucket. Let Heater and Pump run for 24-hours.
2) Attach tubing to one of the aquarium's existing powerheads to pump water from aquarium into the sink.
3) Attach tubing to pump in bucket to move water to the aquarium.

Sound like it will work? Wanted to check with you all before I bought the Maxi-Jet pump and Heater.

2 Maxi-Jet 1200's
RO/DI Water Changes 10% a week
Vanphyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 12:50 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to TheRealFF
I had the same idea of using maxijets as pumps for a homemade fuge. I wonder if they work

I am one of those reefnuts that are actually nuts!
TheRealFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 02:03 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to DragonForce
I siphon water out of the tank into a 5g container. Then I set a fresh 5g of salt ontop of the canopy and then siphon it into the tank. I usually do 10gals out 10gals in once every 2 weeks on my 37 LPS reef.
3' fine sand bed 1x Orange Stripe Prawn shrimp goby, 1x sixline wrassemated pair of true percula clowns, 1x CBS shrimp, 2x peppermint shrimp, 1x pistol shrimp, 1x tiger tale cuke, ~20+ snails, ~10+ hermits, 1xserpent star.
green Bubble coral, hammer coral (8 heads!) ,various Zoos,green finger leather, green star polpys ,shrooms
175w 10k MH
28w actinic 03
2x maxi jett 1200
Prizm skimmer (modded)
Hagen powerfilter(for running carbon 24/7)
nano arctica chiller
DragonForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 02:54 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

your idea will work provided you have a way to measure the old water being pulled out of the system. You want to replace exactly what you take out.
Old 04-03-2006, 06:33 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

I do basically the same thing, but I don't run it to the sink. I bought one of those 2' tall stepladders that i setup in front of the tank. I place my buckets on top of the ladder. This places the bucket lower than the tank, but the powerhead can still function. With the bucket on the floor it wouldn't work so well to pump the new water up into the tank (too much head?) so I went and got the step-ladder.

Only thing I can think of is that you might run into a similar problem depending on how long the hose run is from the tank to the sink. Also, I only had a spare penguin 660 PH laying around and figured this would be a good dedicated use for it as I don't like the penguin PH's. With a MJ-1200 it sounds like it should work great
Old 04-03-2006, 07:44 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks for the feedback! Yea, I want to make this as painless as possible. With only a 46-gallon tank I just need to do a 5-gallon water change. Like mentioned by Ryguy, that makes it easy to measure how much in and out. With the new method I will have to identify a mark on the tank as to how much 5 gallons is.

I also lose a lot to evaporation during the week and have to top off prior to a water change. (no lid on tank). So much work!
2 Maxi-Jet 1200's
Old 04-03-2006, 12:10 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

do you have a RO unit?
Old 04-03-2006, 12:23 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Are you only replacing the evaporated water prior to a change?
What is the SG before replacement and after?

If your sink is lower than the tank the MJ-1200 should work fine on a 10' run. From a 2' stepladder it will also work fine to replace the water in the tank. The MJ are great little PH's but they are not pumps.

I have 3 marks on my tank side. They are 10, 20 and 30 gallons so I can a PWC at any of those levels.

Sounds like a good plan.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 01:57 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Yes, I have a RO/DI unit. Been using it for a few weeks now, Nitrates have never been better.

Can I top off straight from my RO/DI unit? I ask this because the water is cold.

I am just replacing evaporated water with straight RO/DI water prior to doing a water change. I.e. The day before.

SG in the tank is around 1.023. I keep the same in my water change container.
2 Maxi-Jet 1200's
Old 04-03-2006, 03:46 PM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to tecwzrd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanphyre
Can I top off straight from my RO/DI unit? I ask this because the water is cold.
Yes, for a 46 gal tank that’s OK. If your water temp difference is greater then 20 degrees I would heat it up prior to adding to match the main but anything less isn’t going affect your tank temp with just adding the 1-3 qt needed for top off. Also if you haven’t topped off for a long time (ie: vacation) and are adding more then usual I would also heat it.

My only concern with your plan to add water to the sink is what is the sink used for? If it’s for doing dishes or if any other chemicals ever have come in contact I would not even think about using it. If the sink is chemical free then why not just mix the salt and heat right in the sink?

I know you said a permanent storage solution is not possible but what about a 30 gal trash can on wheels? I got mine from HD for about $45 and keep it in the coat closet hooked up to a ph and heater at all times so I can just roll it out to do pwc of 6 gal each week on my 55 gal tank.

If you haven't figured it out yet I like to BOLD links :P

Vote for AA at Aqua Rank
tecwzrd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
change, water change

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com