Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 07-01-2004, 08:40 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
water change question?

any point in doing a water change if my readings are all 0 ph is stable and I use kent marine trace minerals once a week (the dosage they suggest)? I also have 60lbs of a cc argonite sand mixture that is rated to maintain certain levels of nutrients (ca mg etc) in the water.

my criters are just my clean up crew which contains:
3 margarita snails (large)
1 unknown snail (small)
12 blue reef hermits
2 red reef hermits
1 sand sifting star fish (really active and an awesome detrivore! very fun to watch)

55 gal FOWLR
Euro-reef 5-2 skimmer, 29 gallon sump
3x penguin 1140 ph
2x65 10,000K and 2x65 03 Acintic
40lbs cc/30lbs argonite sand mixture
80lbs keys rock (www.liverocks.com awesome stuff)
25lbs fiji/tonga lr
10lbs lace base rock (now hapily live with lots of coraline growth)
lziarek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 09:40 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Send a message via MSN to Brisc0
I think you will find that ditching the trace additive and doing a 5 - 10% weekly water change will be more beneficial. I drip kalk and change water. Thats all that goes into my tank besides food. I think most people here will agree that if you frequenty change small ammount of water and don't add anything you can't test for you will be more successful. I know some people like Michael Prater don't change water, however his tank is at least two years old and he has plenty of experience to base that decision on. For a tank that is not yet mature (under 2 years) frequent partial water changes are a must.
Here's to swimmin with bowlegged women.

-105G SPS Reef with 30G Sump/Fuge Combo
-30G LTAnemonarium with mated porcelain crabs, 10 sexy shrimp, and 2 pink skunks all tied into the other 135G in my system.
Brisc0 is offline   Reply With Quote

change, water change

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com