Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-21-2011, 03:29 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

I never make mistakes... I think I have done every dumb thing in the book over the past 30 years of reef keeping.

Old 06-21-2011, 03:33 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

You know.. I see where people get caught up on this one. It sounds like such a great idea! What could be better than natural sea water for your sea creatures. Unless you have really done the intense research... You don't think about all of the variables. I mean in our organic, natural is better society right now, this sounds like the perfect answer... Except it's not.

Old 06-21-2011, 03:36 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maya
You know.. I see where people get caught up on this one. It sounds like such a great idea! What could be better than natural sea water for your sea creatures. Unless you have really done the intense research... You don't think about all of the variables. I mean in our organic, natural is better society right now, this sounds like the perfect answer... Except it's not.
Makes total sense. I thought I was doing a good thing, instead it went way sour. Thanks again.
Old 06-21-2011, 03:53 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Trust me... Nobody here thinks that you went miles out to sea, lugged heavy buckets of water out of the ocean and then carted them back to your house and changed the water in your fish tank cause it was the easier way to do it. I complain about carrying RO water up from my basement. You obviously were trying to do the absolute best for your fish. Hope you get your algae problem under control soon. Let us know how it turns out. Best of luck!
Old 06-21-2011, 04:52 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Some big commercial aquariums such as the one in Monterey California, pipe in natural seawater. But it goes thru a processing facility before it hits the tanks. The aquarium in Long Beach uses artificial seawater and most of the rest do too. Nothing is better than RO/DI water and a good salt mix.

You should get some "behind the scenes" tours of your local aquarium. There are interesting things to learn from them.
Old 06-21-2011, 06:01 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maya
Trust me... Nobody here thinks that you went miles out to sea, lugged heavy buckets of water out of the ocean and then carted them back to your house and changed the water in your fish tank cause it was the easier way to do it. I complain about carrying RO water up from my basement. You obviously were trying to do the absolute best for your fish. Hope you get your algae problem under control soon. Let us know how it turns out. Best of luck!
Truly I did, because I'm a charter boat fishing captain, I filled my empty live well with ocean water. Then transported it to my house from the dock in four, 5 gallon size buckets. I could have gotten a lot more. Thank goodness I didn't. I thought that I would try something different. Bad idea.......I'm going to stick with RO from now on....
Old 06-21-2011, 06:02 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote
Some big commercial aquariums such as the one in Monterey California, pipe in natural seawater. But it goes thru a processing facility before it hits the tanks. The aquarium in Long Beach uses artificial seawater and most of the rest do too. Nothing is better than RO/DI water and a good salt mix.

You should get some "behind the scenes" tours of your local aquarium. There are interesting things to learn from them.
Thanks, I will. No more ocean water for me. Lesson learned....
Old 06-21-2011, 06:27 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well, ocean water varies. I used ocean water and nothing happened to me...
Old 06-21-2011, 06:56 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Spontuzak... Re-reading my post I realize that I wasn't clear. I completely believe that you went out and collected your water "the right way". I was pointing out that it is an extremely difficult way to obtain water. You weren't doing so cause it was the easy way to do it. I am impressed with your willingness to do what you think is best for your fish even if it didn't turn out well. That is a lot of work for water. I HATE lugging those buckets. To do so and then transport them for miles...and then have to carry them home... Eeek! That would be enough to make me rethink the hobby.

Tags
change, water change

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com