Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-20-2011, 03:16 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Water change, too much?

Recently I've had, and hope to have beat a severe hair algae problem. Figured out the cause (pretty much). So now I've removed all my rocks and scrubbed them with a toothbrush and vinegar and vacuumed the sand the best that I could (to remove any algae debris). Scraped the all algae off the glass and power heads. Then I put the rock back in the tank. Looks pretty good except that I've noticed my tank is under a lot of stress. 45 gallon tank with at least 14 gallon water change. Is that too much? I live in south FL, so I am able to use pure sea water for my changes. And is it a good idea to leave my light off for a few days? I don't have any coral that is still living, only a few mushrooms.

Old 06-20-2011, 03:20 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Flake
I think part of your problem may be related to the sea water. How do you collect it?

Old 06-20-2011, 03:31 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flake
I think part of your problem may be related to the sea water. How do you collect it?
10 miles off shore of FT Lauderdale. In the Gulf stream. The water is good. It is my first time using it. That could be the problem.
Old 06-20-2011, 08:07 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by spontuzak View Post
Recently I've had, and hope to have beat a severe hair algae problem. Figured out the cause (pretty much). So now I've removed all my rocks and scrubbed them with a toothbrush and vinegar and vacuumed the sand the best that I could (to remove any algae debris). Scraped the all algae off the glass and power heads. Then I put the rock back in the tank. Looks pretty good except that I've noticed my tank is under a lot of stress. 45 gallon tank with at least 14 gallon water change. Is that too much? I live in south FL, so I am able to use pure sea water for my changes. And is it a good idea to leave my light off for a few days? I don't have any coral that is still living, only a few mushrooms.
I can't imagine removing all the rock and scrubing with vinagear being good. I think what you have done is caused a cycle by killing all the bacteria and any organism in and on the rock. Have you checked your nitrites and ammonia?
Old 06-20-2011, 08:20 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

You live in south Florida? What fish store do you go to? Lol just wondering.
Old 06-20-2011, 08:21 PM   #6
Thanx but no.....

'The water is good.' .... says who? Did you have it tested by a lab for content? As the seasons change and the predominate sea currents change so does the water 'quality'. The deep sea currents will begin to bring nutrient rich water from the depths to the surface.

Crystal clear water is generally lacking in nutrients that sea fish need. They require the current changes and heavy storms that move the lower nutrient waters to the surface.

So even if the water has no pollution from the shore it will vary in it's quality and IMO during a good part of the year is inappropriate for a self contained system where you feed the inhabitants. For the sea, the nutrients feed smaller beings who grow and are eaten by larger.. and so on... so the nutrient-laden water is a necessity.

The sea is not a large aquarium and vice versa

I despise skinny felines!
CaptainAhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 09:10 PM   #7

Thanks. Makes sense. Note taken. Mistake made.
Old 06-20-2011, 09:11 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by slitherbomb
You live in south Florida? What fish store do you go to? Lol just wondering.
All fish emporium, and the coral farm
Old 06-21-2011, 02:28 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Don't use raw seawater. It has lots of stuff in it that won't fly in a closed system like an aquarium. I suspect it is the source of the hair algae.
Old 06-21-2011, 02:46 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote
Don't use raw seawater. It has lots of stuff in it that won't fly in a closed system like an aquarium. I suspect it is the source of the hair algae.
I made a mistake. I'm rather new to this, but I appreciate feed back. Thanks.

Tags
change, water change

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com