Water change, too much or ok?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Convict2161

Aquarium Advice Addict
Is there such a thing as too much water out of tank? I know freshwater it really doesn't matter but I was curious about saltwater. Reason I'm asking is, I have the BC29 and a IM 8g. I get 10g of water premixed from a friend every Friday. I do a small water change in the little 8g which leaves me with about 9g left. I was only doing a 5g water change every week on my BC29 but now since I have the extra water I've been doing the 8g water change in the cube.

A friend told me to be careful because if I take too much of the water out I'm taking out nutrients and good stuff that it's the water? Doesn't really make sense. My uses instant ocean reef mix. So aren't I just putting back what I took out?

Sorry for the long dragged out post. In short is it ok to do that? Am I harming anything?

That doesnt make any sence to me... If anything you are just re-adding all of the minerals and nutrients you took out so it doesnt really matter. My opinion is that it doesnt make a differance... I wonder what others will think... :)

Nu-Nu the eel said:
That doesnt make any sence to me... If anything you are just re-adding all of the minerals and nutrients you took out so it doesnt really matter. My opinion is that it doesnt make a differance... I wonder what others will think... :)

Yea didn't really make sense to me either he was like watch out! Don't take too much out. I figure it's a bigger water change and probably will benefit from it.

Yes you can change too much, smaller pwc's more often are better than one large water change. Reefs, particularly smaller reefs need stability. Many things are different from your tank water and the new water, the temp is going to be slightly off, the salinity which will bel very close may be a hair off, the ph will be different, the alk, ca, mg, trace elements etc...are different. The larger the water change the more impact they will have on your tank and more stress on your inhabitants. And stress is a bad thing.

Edited to add, nothing good ever happens fast in a reef tank.

reefrunner69 said:
Yes you can change too much, smaller pwc's more often are better than one large water change. Reefs, particularly smaller reefs need stability. Many things are different from your tank water and the new water, the temp is going to be slightly off, the salinity which will bel very close may be a hair off, the ph will be different, the alk, ca, mg, trace elements etc...are different. The larger the water change the more impact they will have on your tank and more stress on your inhabitants. And stress is a bad thing.

Edited to add, nothing good ever happens fast in a reef tank.

Hmmm... Interesting, thank you for your input. Would you say a 8 gallon weekly water change is too much for a BC29? I hate to waste the other 3-4 gallons. Rather use it if it won't cause an issue. But I do understand what your saying.

Convict2161 said:
Hmmm... Interesting, thank you for your input. Would you say a 8 gallon weekly water change is too much for a BC29? I hate to waste the other 3-4 gallons. Rather use it if it won't cause an issue. But I do understand what your saying.

Assuming its a 29g tank, I think it's pushing the envelope. If you can get 10gallons...I would do a 1 gallon change on the 8 and a 3 gallon change on the 29 and save the rest for emergencies. Maybe every couple of weeks, skip getting it for a week.

Thats absolutely not too much AT ALL. When people change tanks, they use ALL new water. That's completely different water, with no I'll affects at all. I personally don't think you can change too much water, If your parameters match up.

I have 29 gal and I do a 5 gal water change. I do not think 8 is to much at all. JMO :)

Personally, more water changed is almost always better IME. As long as the basics are matched, "turn over" is a good thing. The water in natural reefs is ALWAYS being changed by currents, tidal flows, etc.

Imo unless your exposing things that shouldn't be to air or can't match water temps/salinity pretty close then the more the better. The only reason I see to doing minimum changes spread out is to save cost and not waste water and salt

crister13 said:
Thats absolutely not too much AT ALL. When people change tanks, they use ALL new water. That's completely different water, with no I'll affects at all. I personally don't think you can change too much water, If your parameters match up.

They do that as the lesser of two evils, it is neither economical, nor wise to do that in a regular basis.

HN1 said:
Personally, more water changed is almost always better IME. As long as the basics are matched, "turn over" is a good thing. The water in natural reefs is ALWAYS being changed by currents, tidal flows, etc.

smaller amounts more often = more water changed.

On a monthly schedule I would not recommend more than 25% at a time for a fo or fowlr, and would recommend 10% weekly which adds up to 40% in a month.

It's important to remember our freshly made saltwater has many more nutrients in it than those ocean waters, more nutrients typically means more nuisance algae, in addition, almost all commercial salt mix will mix with measurable ammonia. Whatever you decide, let your tank inhabitants dictate whether it's too much or not, if they are thriving and you have no issues with nuisance algae, then you must have found the right schedule.

10%? So. You would only change 12g on a 120g tank. Doesn't seem rt

wow never thought about it before like this !!
every one has very good points

couldn't agree more about more water changes

I have been doing this for the last 6 months and am having very good out come with coral growth
and live stock
5% week 1
10% week 2
5% week 3
20% week 4
and so on
everything is just getting better and better

if it works its not broke my grand father always said that

reefrunner69 said:
They do that as the lesser of two evils, it is neither economical, nor wise to do that in a regular basis.

smaller amounts more often = more water changed.

On a monthly schedule I would not recommend more than 25% at a time for a fo or fowlr, and would recommend 10% weekly which adds up to 40% in a month.

It's important to remember our freshly made saltwater has many more nutrients in it than those ocean waters, more nutrients typically means more nuisance algae, in addition, almost all commercial salt mix will mix with measurable ammonia. Whatever you decide, let your tank inhabitants dictate whether it's too much or not, if they are thriving and you have no issues with nuisance algae, then you must have found the right schedule.

Not to get too technical but it would be roughly 34 percent water changed after 4 10% water changes if your counting the month as a whole compaired to a 25% at one time change.

But yes smaller more frequent changes are better for the tank. Less shock to the fish and coral. as stated the levels will no doubt be different in the water going in vs what's coming out. Temp ph sal etc

54seaweed said:
wow never thought about it before like this !!
every one has very good points

couldn't agree more about more water changes

I have been doing this for the last 6 months and am having very good out come with coral growth
and live stock
5% week 1
10% week 2
5% week 3
20% week 4
and so on
everything is just getting better and better

if it works its not broke my grand father always said that

10% a week has my vote key is matching parimeters of old water and new water use ro water new water wont cause algae blooms algae is caused by phosphate and nitrate new water should not have either of these

Well I'm glad I asked! Maybe I'll just stick with the 5 gallon water changes that's I've need doing since day one. Keep the extra JIC...

Hardridge said:
10%? So. You would only change 12g on a 120g tank. Doesn't seem rt

Because I like numbers that are easy to work with I would probably do 10g or 15g but that is every week. And 10g is going to be more than 10% of the water volume (most likely), after you account for displacement by rock and sand and coral.

danbstrong said:
new water wont cause algae blooms algae is caused by phosphate and nitrate new water should not have either of these

Nitrate and phosphate are the big ones, for sure, but the trace elements they load the salt mixes with will feed algae as well as coral.

Reefrunner you seem to know your stuff and I'm only 9 months in on my BC29.

So what would a good weekly water change be for my tank?

image-1642074608.jpg

Back
Top Bottom