Water changes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

steve5520

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Can water be changed too frequently?

Due to the fact that I recently purchased a RO/DI filter, I am now anxious to get the cleaner water in my tanks. As far as I can figure, it's going to take a while to see the effect. If I change 10% - 15% once a week, it will be a while before the old water is "gone".

Can I safely change water every couple days, or is that too often? I surely don't want to upset the balance of anything as both tanks are doing very well.

Thanks.

Can I safely change water every couple days, or is that too often? I surely don't want to upset the balance of anything as both tanks are doing very well.

You can do this as long as you continually match up the SG, temperature, and pH as close as possible with the water in the tank. One should do this anyway and not just with frequent water changes. It is just going to be more work on you since you are wanting to do it every few days.

BTW, nothing comes fast in the SW hobby. I understand your wanting to get stuff done, but you will find that patience is your best friend here. Rushing stuff is the surest way to disaster.

but you will find that patience is your best friend here. Rushing stuff is the surest way to disaster.

Probably the best advise I could have possibly received. I guess I didn't consider that the water I've been using has been okay for this many years, a few more weeks won't hurt anything.

Thanks.

After I thought about it, it would be a real struggle to change water every couple days anyway. I'm mixing water in a 32 gal garbage can. When I change water, I have to make more RO, mix the salt, make sure it's right for at least a day before using it. No way.
Maybe once a week..... slow but sure.

Not even just the amount of work. Your comment
Rushing stuff is the surest way to disaster.
really made me think. I wish I had some money for every time I was going to make an "improvement" to something and hurried it just a little too much. Glad you said that, made me think that there is no hurry and no sense putting all the inhabitants at risk.

Back
Top Bottom