Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-22-2003, 09:43 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to Dewey
Water changes??

Do you think 10 gallons per week of water change is to much?

75 gallon,30gallon sump, 130lbs live rock. and dsb

Thanks in advance Dewey

Old 12-22-2003, 09:58 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

No I don't think it's too much.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2003, 09:32 AM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
I think its fine. Expecially if your not using a skimmer. I change out approx that much water a week in my 80 gal. All in all I go thru 20-25 gal of saltwater a week in waterchanges.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2003, 03:39 PM   #4

Excellent. I wish I were that diligent...
Old 12-25-2003, 08:25 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

25% water change should be go enough. For a 75 gallon tank, 18 gallons water change should be good enough.
Old 12-30-2003, 05:36 PM   #6
ken
Aquarium Advice Newbie

one big water change a month is better than several small ones plus its less work trust me
Old 12-30-2003, 05:52 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to Platinum
Quote:
Originally Posted by ken
one big water change a month is better than several small ones plus its less work trust me
I agree with the less work part, but im not sure about the better than several water changes, why do you say that?
Old 12-30-2003, 07:08 PM   #8
ken
Aquarium Advice Newbie

the reason for changing water is to get the bad stuff out and replace trace elements, the more water you change at once the more bad stuff you get out at once. and like I said it is less work plus I imagine that doing that much tank cleaning would be stressful on the fish
Old 12-30-2003, 07:52 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken
the reason for changing water is to get the bad stuff out and replace trace elements, the more water you change at once the more bad stuff you get out at once. and like I said it is less work plus I imagine that doing that much tank cleaning would be stressful on the fish
That doesn't really make any sense. You're getting "bad stuff" out each time you cyphon.

I love the fishes cause they're so delicious.
Sati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2003, 08:02 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

I would say that a higher frequency of changes would keep water parameters more stable.

During a long space between changes nitrates will build up and Ph will drop. Every time you did a big water change the nitrates would go down and Ph will go back up dramatically. Dramatic changes in water chemistry are generally considered bad for fish.

If you do changes more often there is less time for waste products to build up, keeping parameters more stable.

Or to look at it another way, if you had a rabbit or a bird, do you think it would be happy if you cleaned the cage only once a month, even if you cleaned it really really well each month?

Just my $0.02

Tags
water changes

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com