Water changes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theodo155

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
When should I do a water change? That is the question! My tanks is a 75 gallon with 80+ lbs of cured LR with ammonia, nitrate & nitrite all 0. Only thing in tank are some snails a cuke and one fish. Have some made up saltwater I have been sitting on for about 2 weeks. Should I change 10% or just keep waiting?

Did your tank cycle? If it has finished cycling than a water change would be in order. After cycling you can do a 10-20% water change. After that its kinda a matter of preference some do weekly water changes and some change water every 2 or 3 months. IMO Smaller more frequent changes are better.

Since I have started this tank my water hasn't done much. ammonia went up a little but has come back down to zero. Remember I used cured LR. Never had any brown algae. Have some green and the protein skimmer is working well.

How long has the tank been set up. With cured LR and if you used LS then you the tank may not have had to cycle much.

Tank has been up for 12 weeks and I used 1/2" crushed coral no livesand. I have a local wholesaler in my neighborhood and he had the lr in his 7000 gallon tank for about 3 months

It sounds to me like the tank has cycled. I would do a water change keep an eye on the levels and maybe even think about getting another fish. Just keep an eye on levels while the tank is still young, adding to many fish at once could cause problems.

Back
Top Bottom