water changes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mdl91881

Aquarium Advice Regular
do you think it would be better to do a 5 gallon water change every week or a 10 gallon change every two weeks?

What size tank?

I have a 55 and I change 10 gal every two weeks, however, I add at least a gal a day in top off water.

i really don't get that much evaporation. made add a 1/2 gallon per week.

I have a wooden light canopy and 160 watts of lights. I do not use glas or anything else on top of the tank so it is open. Lots of open water. Thats why it gets a lot of evap. Not to mention the protien skimmer and all.

I do about 10 gal every two weeks. Lots of people only change water changes once a month, but I feel more frequent changes are better for the fish.
Logan J

Yeah I think so, and to get even better, about every two months I do at least 25%

Forgot, I made it easier on my self and went to the grocery store and bought some 5 gal water bottles like you put on water coolers. they work great for water changes and you can store your water easier. I go up to the store and use the ro/di machine for 0.25 per gal. I think it is cool. One thing I need to do though, is stop using tap water for top off and use one of the 5 gals of fresh water for top off. this would last me 5 to 7 days. I don't know how much they are where you are, but, down here in J'ville, the bottles are $11 and you can keep them.

IMO it is worth 25 cents a gal to get good water than to go through the de-chlor and all that jazz...

Hey tim, I buy water containers from Walmart in the sporting goods section. The one I use is called the aquatainer holds 7 gallons (fits in their RO machine) and has a spout for easy pouring. It is a good sturdy container, they are also only 7.95 ea. Might wanna give it a try.

IMO it is worth 25 cents a gal to get good water than to go through the de-chlor and all that jazz...
You might consider buying your own RO filter. Even at 25 cents/gal it will pay for itself in a year or less and you will have the convenience of having all the water you need always available. I finally took the punge and now I wonder why I didn't do it sooner. Highly recommended.

Mark

Back
Top Bottom